Experiential Learning lets you to participate in experiences that will help you:
- Develop a deeper understanding of your learning and its connection to the real world.
- Develop Modern Learning skills to help you prepare for future employment.
- Engage in education and career/life planning through exposure to a variety of careers and pathways.
- Participate in experiences where you are active and engaged participants.
- Reflect on your experiences to make connection with what you already know, inform new questions, and identify what has been learned to make connections to education and career/life planning.
- Apply your learning and use new skills to inform current and future decisions and actions.
See below to read about the different experiential learning programs available to HWDSB students. For more information, including current opportunities, click here to learn more.
An experiential learning opportunity for you to get out into the workplace to apply knowledge they have learned in courses. Click here to learn more.
- Co-op is offered in every HWDSB secondary
- Up to two credits can be earned through co-op. These credits can be part of the compulsory credit requirements.
Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
You can participate in OYAP co-op placements in apprenticeship occupations to gain experience-and potentially be signed as apprentices before finishing secondary school. Click here to learn more.
- OYAP is offered at every HWDSB secondary school through the co-op.
- OYAP is delivered at various specialized.
Dual Credit Program
Dual Credit lets you earn both a college credit and a secondary-school credit at the same time. Click here to learn more.
- Dual Credit is an experience that will help you make a successful transition to college.
- Work towards completing your OSSD while also advancing your post-secondary.
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
A Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) allows you to customize your secondary school experience in grades 11 and 12 to your career interests. SHSMs provide opportunities to earn credits matched to a specified economic sector. Click here to learn more. SHSMs available at HWDSB include: