Every summer since 2008, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board has partnered with not-for-profit groups through the Focus on Youth program to support them in delivering summer programs that keep young people safe and active.
Programs and activities are focused on:
- literacy and numeracy
- sports and recreation
- culture and the arts
- leadership development and mentorship
- programs targeted at meeting the needs of specific populations
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Focus on Youth 2020 will take a different form from previous years. Many student placements will be done virtually to support various summer programming. There will be a heavy emphasis on health and safety training, as well as privacy training.
The application for Focus on Youth student employment will open on Monday, June 8, 2020. See our Focus on Youth flyer for full details: FOY-Poster-2020.
- Must be 16 to 21 years of age as of July 13, 2020
- Must have been registered in an HWDSB program in 2019/20
- Must have interests/talents in one of the following areas:
- Arts / crafts
- Community support and leadership
- Music / drama / dance
- Cultural activities
- Must have an up-to-date resume
- 3 Professional/Teacher References – can be volunteer related
- Social insurance number and a bank/chequing account
- Will be required to pass a criminal record check (costs provided by the program)
Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Included in your cover letter, indicate how your previous employment/volunteer work/ leadership experience will benefit you in this summer employment opportunity. Also, include areas of employment that interest you: literacy/numeracy, sports/recreation, mentorship, health/nutrition, technology, the arts.
For more information, e-mail: email@example.com
If selected, students will be interviewed between June 24 to July 3.
Deadline for Applications is June 22, 2020.
Corporate Communications Manager