2021 Update: Plans are underway to bring Focus on Youth to our community for the 2021 summer.
Every summer since 2008, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board has partnered with not-for-profit groups through the Focus on Youth program to support them in delivering summer programs that keep young people safe and active.
Programs and activities are focused on:
- literacy and numeracy
- sports and recreation
- culture and the arts
- leadership development and mentorship
- programs targeted at meeting the needs of specific populations
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Focus on Youth 2021 will take a different form from previous years. Many student placements will be done virtually to support various summer programming. There will be a heavy emphasis on health and safety training, as well as privacy training.
The application for Focus on Youth student employment will open on Monday, May 31, 2021.
If selected to participate in the program, student employment will begin on Monday, July 12, 2021.
- Must be 16 to 21 years of age as of July 12, 2021
- Must have been registered in an HWDSB program in 2020/21
- Must have interests/talents in one of the following areas:
- Arts / crafts
- Community support and leadership
- Music / drama / dance
- Cultural activities
- Mental Health activities
- Must have an up-to-date resume
- 3 Professional/Teacher References – can be volunteer related
- Social insurance number and a bank/chequing account
- Will be required to pass a criminal record check if over the age of 18 (costs provided by the program)
- Must be able to commit to working from:
- July 12 -August 27 (weekdays, not including Canada Day and the Civic Holiday)
- 30 to 40 hours per week (varies by site)
If you have questions or concerns regarding an application, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Included in your cover letter, indicate how your previous employment/volunteer work/ leadership experience will benefit you in this summer employment opportunity. Also, include areas of employment that interest you: literacy/numeracy, sports/recreation, mentorship, health/nutrition, technology, the arts.
If selected, students will be interviewed between Monday, June 21 and Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
Deadline for Applications is Wednesday, June 16, 2021.
Communications and Community Engagement Manager