The HWDSB Welcome Centre welcomes hundreds of new students every year, whether they are new to Canada or new to the Ontario public school system. It supports students and families with their transition to Hamilton, Ontario, as students begin their new school experience at HWDSB.
The Welcome Centre’s Admissions Office and assessment staff work together to provide services that make starting school a smooth process. The Welcome Centre also supports adult students with initial assessments as they resume their studies towards achieving their Ontario High School Diploma.
- Admissions for International and Exchange Students
- Adult Student Credit Assessments
- English as a Second Language Assessments for Newcomers
- Prior Learning Equivalent Credits
- Supporting Families from Ukraine
|Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Holiday & Summer Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
|HWDSB Welcome Centre (located in the Hill Park Learning Centre). Map
465 East 16th Street, Second floor, Hamilton, Ontario, L9A 4K6
Phone: 905-521-2554. Fax: 905-521-2550
The Admissions Office oversees the admission of all International and Exchange students by:
- Helping aid a smooth registration process for students.
- Reviewing documentation for VISA and Exchange students.
- Reviewing documentation for school-aged children of parents who are in Canada on a work permit or have applied for permanent residence in Canada.
- Providing letters of acceptance to VISA student applicants.
- Find out more about Admissions.
- Find out more about the International Student Program.
Credit assessments are available to students aged 18 years and older or who will be 18 years old by the end of the calendar year. These students are eligible for a variety of programs including:
- Mature Student Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition Process (PLAR).
- Community and Continuing Education programs.
- Find out more about the Adult Student Credit Assessment.
- This service is required for all students entering grades 1 to 12 who meet specific criteria.
- The assessment identifies appropriate levels of language and literacy of the student.
- A report is sent to the school that recommends program adaptations, instructional interventions and strategies.
- Find out more about English as a Second Language Assessments.
Students transferring to HWDSB from secondary schools outside of Ontario may be eligible for Prior Learning Equivalent Credits. These students must be transferring from:
- Outside of Ontario including other Countries
- Non-inspected private schools
- Home-schooling environments
- See translated registration forms and media consent forms.
- Elementary and Secondary School Year Calendar
- HWDSB Registration Information / Інформація про реєстрацію
- 1. Welcome to our Schools / 1.ЛАСКАВО ПРОСИМО ДО НАШИХ ШКІЛ
- 2. English as a Second Language Assessment Information for New Families / 2. Інформація для сімей
- 3. Tips for Parents About School in General 2022 / 3. Поради для новоприбулих батьків щодо школи від
- 4. Who Does What in Education? / 4. Хто чим займається в системі освіти
- 5. Typical School Schedules / 5. Типовий розклад школи
- 6. Solving-Problems-at-School-English / 6. Розв’язання проблем у школі
- 7. How To Help Your Child with Math at Home / 7. Як мені допомогти моїй дити
- 8. How To Help Your Child with Reading at Home for English Language Learners / 8. Як мені допомогти моїй д
- 9. Understanding the Provincial Report Card for Grades 1-12 / 9. Пояснення щодо провінційних табелів успішності
- 10. Report Card English as a Second Language Box explanation / 10. Провінційний табель успішності
- 11. What you need to graduate / 11. Які предмети потрібно закінчити, щоб отримати повну