PRO GRANT APPLICATION 2021-2022
To promote and encourage parent/guardian/caregiver involvement in schools, the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board Parent Involvement Committee is accepting applications from schools. School Councils should work with the school Principal to complete and submit an application for funds regarding their project or initiative by January 28, 2022.
Project Eligibility Criteria
The Parents Reaching Out (PRO) Grants program provides funding to school boards to provide opportunities for School Councils, the Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) and the school community to lead projects that support parent/guardian/caregiver engagement and align with at least one of the following objectives:
- Addressing social inclusion and racism specifically anti-Asian, anti-Black, and anti-Indigenous racism and other prejudices toward racialized and marginalized groups
- Creating a safe and welcoming environment
- Demonstrating respect for parents as valued partners within the education system regarding decisions about their child’s education
- Enhancing communication with teachers
- Informing parents about the expectations of the Ontario Curriculum and supporting resources.
Applications that meet the criteria are eligible for a maximum amount of $1,000. Schools may develop applications individually, or with another school. If schools choose to collaborate on an event, they can submit one application and combine funding. Individuals from the school community who have ideas for projects or initiatives that they would like considered, are encouraged to connect with their School Council or Principal.
Project Guidelines and Activities
- Activities must follow all Public Health measures and HWDSB procedures. Should conditions change and revisions to applications be requested, please contact PIC@hwdsb.on.ca
- Activities will support School Council initiatives or initiatives in partnership with community organizations
- Activities will identify and address local barriers to parent engagement and may include but are not limited to:
- Development of parent resources (e.g. leadership resource for parents, resources addressing well-being, mental health, and anti-racism for students and families, etc.)
- Delivery of parent information sessions (e.g. how to support children and families at home, how to understand curriculum, etc.)
- Delivery of parent engagement sessions (e.g. parent networking sessions)
- Innovative activities that enable enhanced and diversified parent engagement.
November – January: School Councils provide input to the Principal regarding the focus and scope of the activities
January 28, 2022 – PRO Grant applications due, please send completed applications to PIC@hwdsb.on.ca or go to the board website and complete an online application at www.hwdsb.on.ca
February 21, 2022 – follow up communication with schools
June 30, 2022 – projects must be completed and funding spent
As a reminder, ineligible expenses include:
- Activities that took place prior to September 8, 2021
- Activities that focus on students
- Payment to school board staff or volunteers including salaries, honoraria, gifts
- Refreshments exceeding 10% of the approved funding
- Out-of-province travel
- Debts or financial losses that result from a project
- Fundraising events
- Central administration expenses must not exceed 10% of the budget (Examples: office supplies; copying and printing; postage; telephone costs; internet and wireless communication, dues, fees and licenses; legal, accounting or audit fees; insurance; bank charges and interest)