Board policies deal with all areas of school and board life. Policies help everyone in the school community understand expectations and rights.
Policies and procedures are important resources which govern the operation of Hamilton-Wentworth District Schools. They provide belief statements and operating guidelines for parents and staff regarding the administration of program, property, student, staff and Board matters.
It is the expectation of HWDSB that all employees, students and persons invited to, or visiting Board property; or partaking/volunteering in Board or school-sponsored events and activities will respect the policies and procedures of the Board.
Policy keyword search
A.0 Human Rights
Hamilton Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) is committed to providing learning and working environments that are welcoming, respectful, accessible, and free from discrimination and harassment. The Human Rights Policy is complementary to and does not substitute individual or group rights and responsibilities under the Ontario Human Rights Code (the Code). The purpose of this policy is:
- to affirm HWDSB’s commitment to foster and maintain a culture of human rights in all HWDSB environments;
- to ensure that members of the HWDSB community understand their rights and responsibilities in upholding and protecting human rights where they learn, work, access or provide services;
- to put in place accountability measures and procedures for human rights concerns to be brought forward, and be resolved in a fair and timely manner using culturally responsive approaches; and
- to articulate the Board’s commitment in fulfilling its positive human rights obligations.
- Human Rights Accountability Procedure
- Human Rights Complaints Resolution Procedure
1.0 Communication and Community Engagement
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) values and is committed to nurturing positive relationships and timely, accessible open, two-way communications with its stakeholders. Schools play a vital role in establishing and maintaining such positive relationships and in attaining a reciprocal flow of information.
HWDSB recognizes the important role that all its stakeholders play in the lives of students in the delivery of public education and supporting student success. HWDSB believes the broader community has insight, valuable experience and practical advice that benefits all students.
- Establishing Working Relationships with Third-Party Professionals/Paraprofessionals Procedure
- Flag Display Procedure
- Accessibility in Employment Procedure
- Accessibility Plans Procedure
- Accessibility Standards for Information and Communication Procedure
- Accessibility Standards for Student Transportation Procedure
- Monitoring and Feedback on Accessible Customer Service Procedure
- Notification of Disruption of Service Procedure
- Use of Assistive Devices by the General Public Procedure
- Use of Service Animals by the General Public Procedure
- Use of a Support Person by the General Public Procedure
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation Procedure
- Electronic Monitoring Procedure
- Privacy Procedure
- Privacy Breach Procedure
- Records and Information Management Procedure
Hamilton‐Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) believes in maintaining equitable, efficient and sustainable schools and other board facilities that provide safe and high-quality learning and working environments for students, staff and the community.
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) believes that conducting efficient and effective financial management practices ensures appropriate and transparent stewardship of all HWDSB resources.
Through the delivery of service to schools, HWDSB’s mission of empowering students to learn and grow to their full potential in a diverse world, will be achieved.
4.0 Human Resources
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) strives to be an employer of choice that attracts, recruits and retains employees who perform exemplary service to fulfill our mission.
HWDSB believes in supporting employee well-being through a positive culture. This includes strengthening positive and respectful relationships with employee groups, while promoting accountability to ensure safe and inclusive working and learning environments.
- Accommodation of Staff – Disability Support
- Employee Medical Records Management – Employee Support and Wellness Procedure
- Whistleblower Procedure
- Whistleblower Report Form (Appendix A)
- Staff Resource List (Appendix B)
- Community Supports & Mental Health Resources – Parents, Guardians, Caregivers (Appendix C)
- Community Supports & Mental Health Resources – Children & Youth (Appendix D)
- Integrity Counts – How to File a Report (Appendix E)
5.0 Safety and Well-Being
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) is committed to creating and supporting safe and healthy schools and workplaces.
HWDSB promotes and maintains a safe, caring, healthy, inclusive and equitable learning and teaching community for students and staff.
- Anti-Classism and Socio-Economic Equity Procedure
- Anti-Racism and Ethnocultural Equity Procedure
- Gender Equity Procedure
- Gender Identity and Gender Expression Procedure: Employees
- Gender Identity and Gender Expression Procedure: Students
- Persons with Disabilities Procedure
- Religious Accommodation Procedure
- Sexual Orientation Procedure
- Administration of Oral Prescription Medication Procedure
- Blood Borne Pathogens Procedure
- Catheterization and Suctioning Lifting Positioning and Physical Management Procedure
- Calming and Sensory Room Procedure
- Communicable Disease Procedure
- Concussion Procedure
- Medical Emergency Response in Schools Procedure
- Pediculosis Management Procedure
- Supporting Students with Prevalent Medical Conditions Procedure
- Use of Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Procedure
- Use of Service Dogs in Schools Procedure
- Progressive Discipline and Promoting Positive Student Behaviour Procedure
- Suspension Expulsion and Programs for Long-Term Suspended or Expelled Students Procedure
6.0 Student Learning and Achievement
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) strives to ensure that all students are engaged in diverse and innovative learning opportunities, through effective instructional and assessment practices, leading to improved student outcomes.
- Ownership, Authorship and Artificial Intelligence Procedure
- Responsible Use of Digital Technology Procedure
- Selection, Vetting and Review of Learning Resources Procedure
- Assessment for Learning and as Learning Procedure
- Communicating and Reporting Student Achievement Procedure
- Determining Report Card Grades Procedure
- Evidence of Learning Procedure
- Interim Early Identification and Intervention Procedure
- Learning For All: Supporting Students with Specific Learning Needs Procedure
- Learning Skills and Work Habits Procedure
- Missing Evidence of Learning Procedure
- Supporting English Language Learners (ELLs) Procedure