Education is a partnership that involves students, parents, teachers, principals, trustees, school boards, government, and the community. As members of the HWDSB Parent Involvement Committee, parents can strengthen this partnership and become part of a dedicated team committed to helping every student achieve.
PIC’s role includes:
- Provide advice and feedback to the Board from a parent perspective
- Champion and demonstrate a commitment to parental engagement
- Contribute to productive meetings & participate in sub-committee work
- Represent broad parent interest in all committee activities
- Raise common parental issues of concern with the Board
- Provide assistance and support to parents as they navigate the various areas of the Board.
- Respond to requests for consultation on policy, programs and strategies
- Communicate with and support school councils
- Undertake activities to help parents support their children’s learning at home and at school
PIC meets once a month throughout the school year, at the HWDSB Education Centre. Childcare and refreshments are provided. Find dates and locations on our Board meetings web page.
Profiling Volunteer Excellence
Run by a PIC subcommittee and HWDSB, Profiling Volunteer Excellence celebrates the excellence of one of our greatest assets – volunteers. Do you know of an individual or group that has been making a difference in the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board community? An annual gala recognizes volunteers as individuals, as groups and for their years of service.
School Council Start Up
Each year, School Council members are invited to participate in learning and discussion to enhance their councils.
Other HWDSB Meetings
Please click here to see the schedule for all other public meetings, including for the parent advisory group Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC). In addition, the French as a Second Language Advisory Committee (FIAC) advises the Board on Core French and French Immersion.
Please note: There aren’t any scheduled meetings during the months of July and August unless a special issue should arise. Holidays and mid-winter break may necessitate changes to the above schedule.
For more information, or to confirm dates, call 905-527-5092, ext. 2273.
HWDSB’s Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) is a great way for parents to become more involved with – and help to shape – education within the Hamilton region. Parents can become part of a dedicated team that meets monthly to help every student achieve.
Parent Membership Criteria
- Parent or guardian of a student enrolled in HWDSB
- Selected to ensure broad representation & diversity across the district
- Committed to a two-year term
- Able to attend monthly meetings (second Tuesday of each month)
- Demonstrated commitment to school and community involvement
The Parent Involvement Committee is receiving applications for the 2022-23 school year. Please complete the application form by June 17th, 2022.
Here are some tips and resources to help you become more involved in your child’s success at school…
- Find a School
- Addressing Concerns at HWDSB
- Volunteer at your child’s school – you have skills that will be welcome!
- Attend a School Council or Home and School meeting – these are open to all parents, and are an important voice in the life of a school.
- Learn more about what’s happening across HWDSB in the Virtual Blackboard and other newsletters.
- The Ontario Ministry of Education’s approach to parent involvement and the Ministry’s 2012 PIC handbook
- Media and advocacy sites for parents such as Parent Central and People for Education
- A great document that collects Ministry parent engagement resources
- A primer on the Accepting Schools Act (Bill 13) for parents
- School Council materials – re: Constitution and Bylaws
- A list of some community and HWDSB Summer Activities