As in previous years, the budget planning and development process will move forward with a focus on supporting student achievement and well-being.
This year, the education sector continues to respond to the financial impacts of Covid-19 and is planning a budget that involves recovery from a global pandemic. This site is created to inform our community throughout the budget and staffing process by sharing latest news, critical timelines, and related reports.
Ministry of Education
The guidance from the Ministry of Education is that no pandemic funding will be provided initially. Also, no stabilization funding will be provided. All collective agreement timelines will be adhered. The Board is working within an assumption that students will be back in person in September and that class sizes will be based on regulations/collective agreements.
HWDSB has projected its enrolment for 2021-22 based on the best information available at this time. The projections include an increase from 2020-21 but still greater than 1,000 students less than 2019-20. Specific enrolment details will be provided throughout the process.
Based on the complexities of this year’s budget process, our staff and community can expect that redundancies will be declared based on confirmed funding and the collective agreement timelines. As in prior years, the Board can always add positions back but cannot reduce staffing after the collective agreement timelines
Learning Modes in 2021-22
HWDSB will plan for different delivery models for September but will require additional funding to support these models.
- Board News: Budget Process and Staffing Updates – April 9
The 2021-22 Board Budget Priorities include:
- Improving Student Achievement
- Mental Health and Well-Being
- School Revitalization
- Special Education
- 21st Century Learning
Key Staffing Timelines (Based on Collective Agreements)
Redundancy Declaration Timelines
- COPE: No deadline for redundancy declaration. Surplus declaration by end of May.
- CUPE: Placements for surplus staff related to closing schools will be June 7 – 11.
- DECE: Redundancy notifications deadline April 30*
- HWETL: Redundancy notifications deadline April 30*
- OCTU: Staffing updates shared with OCTU by May 1. Placements for surplus staff at closing schools will be on May 31. Final notification if other OCTU staff will be declared surplus by June 1.
- OSSTF: Surplus notifications due May 1
*Notice to staff will be shared earlier, if available.
The timing of the release of the Grants for Student Needs (GSNs) has not been confirmed, but expected by mid-April.
Finance & Facilities Meeting dates: March 11; April 1, 8, 22, 29; May 6, 13, 20; June 3, and 10.