As in previous years, the budget planning and development process will move forward with a focus on supporting student achievement and well-being.
This year, the education sector continues to respond to the financial impacts of Covid-19 and is planning a budget that involves recovery from a global pandemic. This site is created to inform our community throughout the budget and staffing process by sharing latest news, critical timelines, and related reports.
Ministry of Education
- Ontario Unveils $2 Billion Plan to Keep Schools Safe and Support Learning Recovery and Renewal
- Education Funding, 2021-22
HWDSB has projected its enrolment for 2021-22 based on the best information available at this time. The projections include an increase from 2020-21 but still greater than 1,000 students less than 2019-20. Specific enrolment details will be provided throughout the process.
Based on the complexities of this year’s budget process, our staff and community can expect that redundancies will be declared based on confirmed funding and the collective agreement timelines. As in prior years, the Board can always add positions back but cannot reduce staffing after the collective agreement timelines
Learning Modes in 2021-22
HWDSB will plan for different delivery models for September but will require additional funding to support these models.
- June 17 – Media release: HWDSB’s Approved 2021-22 Budget includes COVID-19 Supports
- June 3 – Finance & Facilities Committee Meeting (Reference: Related Reports)
- May 20 – Finance & Facilities Committee Meeting (Reference: Related Reports)
- May 13 – Finance & Facilities Committee Meeting (Reference: Related Reports)
- May 6 – An overview of the Grants for Student Needs were shared to the committee members. (Reference: Related Reports) In addition, Trustees approved the following motion: That staff being back scenarios using Covid-19 funding and up to 2 per cent of our operational budget from reserves to lower elementary class sizes for the 2021-22 school year to promote distancing and learning recovery, and to include scenarios that would not result in a system reorganization mid-year if the Ministry funding changes.
- May 4 – Dawn Danko, Chair of the Board, Responds to Ontario Investments in Education
- May 3 – Manny Figueiredo, Director of Education, shared a staff message on May 3, 2021: “I wanted to provide an update on our Budget process for 2021-22 school year. We have made some conservative assumptions going into the budget process in hopes we would have more clarity as promised by the end of April regarding Ministry of Education funding. We are still awaiting our two main funding sources that are connected to student enrolment and program offerings: Grants for Student Needs (GSN) and Priorities and Partnerships Fund (PPF). This is information is critical for us to plan for staffing levels and resources for the upcoming school year. Once we receive an update on our grants for next school year and the operational guidance document, we will provide an update.”
- Special Education and ESL Budget Discussion presented at Finance & Facilities on April 22. (Reference: Related Reports)
- Board News: Budget Process and Staffing Updates – April 9
The 2021-22 Board Budget Priorities include:
- Improving Student Achievement
- Mental Health and Well-Being
- School Revitalization
- Special Education
- 21st Century Learning
Key Staffing Timelines (Based on Collective Agreements)
Redundancy Declaration Timelines
- COPE: No deadline for redundancy declaration. Surplus declaration by end of May.
- CUPE: Placements for surplus staff related to closing schools will be June 7 – 11.
- DECE: Redundancy notifications deadline April 30*
- HWETL: Redundancy notifications deadline April 30*
- OCTU: Staffing updates shared with OCTU by May 1. Placements for surplus staff at closing schools will be on May 31. Final notification if other OCTU staff will be declared surplus by June 1.
- OSSTF: Surplus notifications due May 1
*Notice to staff will be shared earlier, if available.
The timing of the release of the Grants for Student Needs (GSNs) has not been confirmed, but expected by mid-April.
Finance & Facilities Meeting dates: March 11; April 1, 8, 22, 29; May 6, 13, 20; June 3, and 10.
May 20: 2021-22 Budget Update
*Note – Slide 19 should read: Staff will bring back the entire 2021-22 Budget in its entirety to the June 3, 2021 Finance and Facilities Committee meeting.
- School Budget Carry Forward
- COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure Stream Funding Update
- Enrolment Summary – March 31 2021
- Presentation: Budget Update May 13
March 11: Budget Priority Report
April 1: Presentation: 2021-22 Budget Update
- Report: 2021-2022 School Based Staffing
- Presentation: 2021-22 School Based Staffing Budget April 8
- Presentation: Budget Update April 8