An open letter on working together to address bullying
Thank you to students, families, staff and community partners
In our shared journey to develop a culture without bullying, we are welcoming students, families and community partners to our first Safe Schools Pop Up in support of the recommendations in the Safe Schools: Bullying Prevention and Intervention Review Panel Report.
The community was so generous with their time and showed courage in sharing their experiences and ideas for how we can better prevent and respond to bullying. We are very thankful for what everyone shared. It is now time to act, and we hope you will join us in this next step forward.
As outlined by the panel – Dr. Jean Clinton, Brenda Flaherty and Dr. Gary Warner – healthy relationships are key to preventing and addressing bullying in schools and to ensure the intersectionality with equity actions. We believe that healthy relationships between HWDSB and our community are essential if we are going to make a difference in classrooms and schools. There is a lot we do not know and we want to work alongside students, families and community as we focus on better ways to address bullying.
Please join us in our first Safe Schools Pop Up, which will include:
- Meeting the staff leading our safe schools work.
- Sharing what we heard and commitments to the community as we plan this work.
- Reviewing the timelines for responding to the recommendations.
- Outlining our commitment to ongoing engagement with students, families and community.
We also want you to tell us how we can best update you about this work and respond to your questions, concerns, and comments along the way.
Join us at our Safe Schools Pop Up, held virtually through MS Teams:
- Wednesday, June 16, 4 to 5:30 p.m. Link to attend. For students.
- Thursday, June 17, 6:15 to 7:45 p.m. Link to attend. For parents, guardians and caregivers.
- Tuesday, June 22, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Link to attend. For partners and community members.
Close captioning will be provided. We will post a video recording online if you cannot attend. We will share translated resources on our Safe Schools Review Panel web page.
Director of Education