Board policies deal with all areas of school and board life. Policies help everyone in the school community understand expectations and rights.
Policies and procedures are important resources which govern the operation of Hamilton-Wentworth District Schools. They provide belief statements and operating guidelines for parents and staff regarding the administration of program, property, student, staff and Board matters.
It is the expectation of HWDSB that all employees, students and persons invited to, or visiting Board property; or partaking/volunteering in Board or school-sponsored events and activities will respect the policies and procedures of the Board.
Policy keyword search
1.0 Communication and Community Engagement
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) values and is committed to nurturing positive relationships and timely, accessible open, two-way communications with its stakeholders. Schools play a vital role in establishing and maintaining such positive relationships and in attaining a reciprocal flow of information.
HWDSB recognizes the important role that all its stakeholders play in the lives of students in the delivery of public education and supporting student success. HWDSB believes the broader community has insight, valuable experience and practical advice that benefits all students.
NOTE: Effective September 1, 2019, the ability to serve or consume alcoholic beverages will NO LONGER be permitted in buildings, or on the grounds of HWDSB premises
- Alcoholic Beverages on Board Premises Procedure
- Establishing Working Relationships with Third-Party Professionals/Paraprofessionals Procedure
- Accessibility in Employment Procedure
- Accessibility Plans Procedure
- Accessibility Standards for Information and Communication Procedure
- Accessibility Standards for Student Transportation Procedure
- Monitoring and Feedback on Accessible Customer Service Procedure
- Notification of Disruption of Service Procedure
- Use of Assistive Devices by the General Public Procedure
- Use of Service Animals by the General Public Procedure
- Use of a Support Person by the General Public Procedure
Hamilton‐Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) believes in maintaining equitable, efficient and sustainable schools and other board facilities that provide safe and high-quality learning and working environments for students, staff and the community.
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) believes that conducting efficient and effective financial management practices ensures appropriate and transparent stewardship of all HWDSB resources.
Through the delivery of service to schools, HWDSB’s mission of empowering students to learn and grow to their full potential in a diverse world, will be achieved.
4.0 Human Resources
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) strives to be an employer of choice that attracts, recruits and retains employees who perform exemplary service to fulfill our mission.
HWDSB believes in supporting employee well-being through a positive culture. This includes strengthening positive and respectful relationships with employee groups, while promoting accountability to ensure safe and inclusive working and learning environments.
- Accommodation of Staff Procedure
- Employee Medical Records Management – Employee Support and Wellness Procedure
5.0 Safety and Well-Being
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) is committed to creating and supporting safe and healthy schools and workplaces.
HWDSB promotes and maintains a safe, caring, healthy, inclusive and equitable learning and teaching community for students and staff.
- Anti-Classism and Socio-Economic Equity Procedure
- Anti-Racism and Ethnocultural Equity Procedure
- Gender Equity Procedure
- Persons with Disabilities Procedure
- Religious Accommodation Procedure
- Sexual Orientation Procedure
- Administration of Oral Prescription Medication Procedure
- Blood Borne Pathogens Procedure
- Catheterization and Suctioning Lifting Positioning and Physical Management Procedure
- Communicable Disease Procedure
- Concussion Procedure
- Pediculosis Management Procedure
- Supporting Students with Prevalent Medical Conditions Procedure
- Use of Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Procedure
- Use of Service Dogs in Schools Procedure
- Progressive Discipline and Promoting Positive Student Behaviour Procedure
- Suspension Expulsion and Programs for Long-Term Suspended or Expelled Students Procedure
6.0 Student Learning and Achievement
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) strives to ensure that all students are engaged in diverse and innovative learning opportunities, through effective instructional and assessment practices, leading to improved student outcomes.
- Identity Credibility and Positive Participation Procedure
- Ownership and Authorship Procedure
- Responsible Use Procedure
- Selection of Learning Resources Procedure
- Assessment for Learning and as Learning Procedure
- Communicating and Reporting Student Achievement Procedure
- Determining Report Card Grades Procedure
- Evidence of Learning Procedure
- Interim Early Identification and Intervention Procedure
- Learning For All: Supporting Students with Specific Learning Needs Procedure
- Learning Skills and Work Habits Procedure
- Missing Evidence of Learning Procedure
- Supporting English Language Learners (ELLs) Procedure