Message to Families Regarding Respiratory Illness Prevention and Masks
As you know, the influenza season started early this year with a combination of concerns including the flu, COVID-19, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). During this time of increased respiratory illness, we are providing guidance to protect each other, yourself, and students.
Together, we can help to protect our students, families, and community. We want to give special attention and focus to the health and well-being of students and support you in your decisions related to public health measures.
Wear a Mask
HWDSB has promoted itself as a mask-friendly environment. We want to ensure that students and staff are supported in their decision to wear a mask. On Monday, November 21, 2022, the Board of Trustees approved the following motion:
“To ask all students and staff to wear a mask in all HWDSB facilities until further direction.”
Masks will be provided upon request.
Additional Public Health Measures
- Stay at home when you are sick
- Use the school and child care screening before you arrive at school or your work location (ontario.ca/school-screening/)
- Wash your hands often
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Rapid Antigen Tests are available upon request
- Get your flu shot and stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccination
- Don’t touch your face
- Clean (and disinfect) surfaces and shared items
HWDSB has prepared an awareness poster about wearing a mask and respiratory illness prevention for our schools and workplaces to display. Thank you for your kindness and cooperation.
Sheryl Robinson Petrazzini
Director of Education
Additional resources and information:
- Respiratory Illness Prevention – Wear a Mask Poster
- November 15, 2022 Statement from Dr. Elizabeth Richardson, Medical Officer of Health
- November 15, 2022 Letter to Families from Hamilton Public Health Services
- HWDSB COVID-19 webpage