Emotion Coaching for Parents and Caregivers – March/April 2022
The pandemic has increased stress for children and youth – and this has challenged the caregivers who support them.
In response, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB), Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board (HWCDSB), and the Hamilton Family Health Team (HFHT) invite parents and caregivers to explore Emotion Coaching in a 90-minute webinar, and if interested, a six-week parent/caregiver group for further learning.
What is Emotion Coaching?
Emotion Coaching is a communication strategy that can calm the brain in as little as 60 seconds, and help improve relationships. Emotion Coaching has two steps:
- Validation: Letting someone know we want to understand why they feel, think or act a certain way.
- Support: Then, we provide emotional and practical support using strategies like reassurance, limit-setting, redirecting, collaborative problem-solving, teaching skills, etc.
Learning in Webinars
- Introduction to Emotion Coaching and how it can improve relationships with your child/youth
- Understanding the role of emotions, including resistance
- Linking Emotion Coaching to neuroscience
- Reviewing Emotion Coaching approaches
Click the following links to register for one of the 90-minute webinars:
|Date||Time||Link to Register|
|March 3, 2022||6:30 – 8 p.m.||hwdsb.info/EC-Mar3|
|March 30, 2022||6:30 – 8 p.m.||hwdsb.info/EC-Mar30|
|April 14, 2022||12 – 1:30 p.m.||hwdsb.info/EC-Apr14|
|April 26, 2022||6:30 – 8 p.m.||hwdsb.info/EC-Apr26|
To register for the six-week caregiver group:
Please call the Hamilton Family Health Team, Mental Health Groups line at 905-667-4852.
*We encourage caregivers to participate in a webinar before joining the caregiver group, however it is not required.