HWDSB Trustees Approve 2020-2021 Budget
Hamilton, Ontario – June 23, 2020: In an unprecedented year, with the Ministry of Education’s recent release of the Grants for Student Needs and Priorities and Partnership Funding documents, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) Trustees have approved the 2020-21 budget in the amount of $587 million on June 22.
“Our Board of Trustees are very proud to approve this balanced budget,” said Alex Johnstone, Chair of the Board. “ Staff and Trustees have worked hard to develop the budget even through we had limited information coming from the province throughout the closure period. This budget delivers on our priority to support programs and services for students.”
Items taken into account for the 2020-21 budget include:
- salary increases based on the negotiated 2019-2022 central labour agreements;
- staffing increases due to increased enrolment in both elementary and secondary panel
- secondary school class sizes at a ratio of 23 students to one teacher; and
- $5.6 million in funding to support:
- additional staffing for teachers and education workers. This staffing support is for special education, mental health, unique learning needs or safe and healthy schools
- professional development for Early Childhood Educators.
The Ministry of Education requires all school boards to have a balanced budget while complying with all legislation and regulations, such as Full-Day Kindergarten class cap, primary and Grade 4-8 class sizes, as well as secondary average class sizes.
“A balanced budget means local control over the programs and strategies that directly impact student performance,” said Johnstone. “Through all the hard work staff put into this budget, we are pleased to pass the budget before the end of the school year.”
– 30 –
Shawn McKillop, APR
Manager, Communications and Community Engagement
905.515.6227 | firstname.lastname@example.org