HWDSB Pursues Equity Goals with Staff Census Report
Hamilton, Ontario – March 11, 2020: Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) has learned more about its staff makeup thanks to the final report on We All Count: HWDSB Staff Census 2019.
In April 2019, HWDSB invited all staff to participate in a voluntary, anonymous and confidential staff census to gather data and understand the makeup of its workforce, inform decision-making and foster workplace inclusion and equity.
Compared to the local labour market, responses suggest that HWDSB’s workforce has a large female majority, approximately the same representation of Indigenous persons, fewer racialized persons and more individuals who report having a condition/disability.
“We need our students to see themselves reflected in our staff and today’s results suggest we can improve our hiring and promotion practices,” Director of Education Manny Figueiredo said. “The census will keep us accountable in meeting our equity goals.”
The census was shaped by input from staff throughout HWDSB, as well as HWDSB’s census steering committee, which included representatives from union groups, departments, staff leading equity work and others. A total of 2,505 HWDSB staff participated in the staff census. Some findings highlighted in the final report include:
Gender & Sexuality
- 78.3% of the respondents identify as female. 20.5% of the respondents identify as male. 0.8% of the respondents identify as gender diverse (includes two-spirit, fluid, non-binary, transgender and others).
- 5.2% of respondents identify as asexual, 5.6% identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning and others.
Race & Indigeneity
- 88% of the respondents identify as white.
- 2% of respondents self-identify as Indigenous to Turtle Island (North America)
- 9% of respondents self-identify as racialized, the highest for staff hired in the past year (16.4%)
- 15% of respondents indicate they have a condition or disability
Links to Resources:
– 30 –
Shawn McKillop, APR
Manager, Communications and Community Engagement
T: 905.527.5092 x2941