HWDSB joins City of Hamilton embrace of The 5 Ways to Mental Well-being
HWDSB is joining the City of Hamilton in its embrace of the 5 Ways to Mental Well-being, a set of daily actions promoted around the world that can keep us well – like having five servings of vegetables a day.
Developed in the UK and supported by evidence, the 5 Ways to Mental Well-being will create a shared language for mental health and well-being initiatives at HWDSB. The 5 Ways include:
- Connect: Build healthy relationships, spend time together with family, friends, and people in the community.
- Keep learning: Try something new, keep your mind active. Read books just for enjoyment. Try cooking, sewing, building, painting, visit an art gallery, museum, or library.
- Be active: Move to feel good. Being physically active can boost mood, reduce stress, increase energy levels, and improve concentration and confidence.
- Take notice: Be aware of your thoughts and feelings and the world around you.
- (Elementary) Be creative and play: Draw. Paint. Act. Collect. Build. Dream.
(Secondary) Give back: Find joy in helping others. Helping, sharing, and participating in the community is linked with an increased sense of purpose and satisfaction.