Masks are Strongly Recommended at HWDSB
January 17, 2023
Thank you to students, families, and staff for your support as HWDSB implemented its Temporary Universal Masking Requirement from December 5, 2022 to January 16, 2023.
Following Public Health guidance, we continue to strongly recommend that you wear a well-fitted mask in all indoor settings, especially when it is crowded.
HWDSB continues to be a mask-friendly environment.
Medical masks continue to be made available for students, staff, and visitors.
Why mask-wearing remains important
Public health strongly recommends you to wear a well-fitted face mask to protect you and those around you. Masks can help contain your respiratory particles and prevent or reduce the amount of infectious respiratory particles you inhale.
Students and staff are also strongly recommended to wear a mask at all times when you are outside your home and in public places (including school and child care, unless under two years of age) if you:
- are recovering from COVID-19 symptoms and are no longer isolating for 10 days from when your symptoms started
- have tested positive for COVID-19 and do not have symptoms for 10 days from the positive test result
- have been identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19 symptoms and/or a positive test result for 10 days from last exposure
Additional Health Measures advised by Hamilton Public Health
- Stay at home when you are sick
- Use the school and child care screening before you arrive at school or your work location (ontario.ca/school-screening/)
- Wash your hands often
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Rapid Antigen Tests are available upon request
- Get your flu shot and stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccination
- Don’t touch your face
- Clean (and disinfect) surfaces and shared items
Learn more about mask protection from Hamilton Public Health Services: Protect Yourself and Others.
Sheryl Robinson Petrazzini
Director of Education