Labour Update, November 4
November 4, 2022
Our primary responsibility during this labour dispute is to ensure health and safety is maintained for HWDSB students and staff. We know this is a difficult time and we appreciate everyone’s patience.
Today, we implemented a contingency plan where we assigned additional staff to schools. At the end of today, we reassessed the situation and as a result, we have determined that we are unable to continue to keep schools open safely for students.
On Monday, November 7, 2022:
- HWDSB schools will be closed to all students for in-person learning
- Students will move to independent (asynchronous) learning at home and will begin real-time, remote (synchronous) learning on Tuesday, November 8
- Classroom educators will connect with students and families
- All school staff will report to their school
- Additional staff will be assigned to schools for cleaning and maintenance tasks
- Early Learning and Child Care centres (Birth to age 3.8) will be open during the school day only
- EarlyON Child and Family Centres, all licensed before‐ and after‐school programs, and all authorized recreation programs are cancelled
- Students learning on non-HWDSB properties can attend in-person learning
- All extra-curricular activities including Arts, clubs, after-school tutoring, for example, are paused
- All Athletics taking place in schools are paused until further notice
For a list of Learning at Home remote activities, please visit hwdsb.on.ca/learn-at-home/. Paper packages will be available at the school should families need to pick up copies to take back home. More information will be provided about this option.
We are not able to initiate our system wide device deployment strategy at this time. It is a complex process that involves staff who are not currently available. We will provide more information next week.
The Government of Ontario has filed a submission to the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB) in response to CUPE’s strike action. If there is a change in plans because of the OLRB outcome, we will contact families by phone and email as soon as possible.
Thank you for your support and understanding.
Sheryl Robinson Petrazzini
Director of Education