Emotion Coaching for Parents and Caregivers – Fall 2021
The pandemic has increased stress for children and youth – and this has challenged the caregivers who support them.
In response, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB), Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board (HWCDSB) and the Hamilton Family Health Team (HFHT) invite caregivers to explore Emotion Coaching in a series of 90-minute webinars and/or a six-week parent/caregiver group.
WHAT IS EMOTION COACHING?
Emotion Coaching is a communication strategy that can calm the brain in as little as 60 seconds, and help improve relationships. Emotion Coaching has two steps:
VALIDATION: Letting someone know we want to understand why they feel, think or act a certain way.
SUPPORT: Then, we provide emotional and practical support using strategies like reassurance, limit-setting, redirecting, collaborative problem-solving, teaching skills, etc.
LEARNING IN WEBINARS
- Introduction to Emotion Coaching and how it can improve relationships with your child/youth
- Understanding the role of emotions, including resistance
- Linking Emotion Coaching to neuroscience
- Reviewing Emotion Coaching approaches
CLICK THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO REGISTER FOR ONE OF THE 90 MINUTE WEBINAR
- October 21, 2021, 9:30 am – 11:00 am – https://bit.ly/2YmalxZ
- November 2, 2021, 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm – https://bit.ly/3BgcREF
- November 18, 2021, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm – https://bit.ly/2ZSnBex
- December 1, 2021, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm – https://bit.ly/3ld4vrQ
TO REGISTER FOR THE SIX-WEEK CAREGIVER GROUP:
Please call the Hamilton Family Health Team, Mental Health Groups line at Phone: 905-667-4852
*We encourage caregivers to participate in a webinar before joining the caregiver group, however it is not required.