Grade 12 Graduating Students (Volunteer Requirement):
The community involvement graduation requirement of 40 hours is restored for students graduating in the 2022-23 school year and beyond.
Please email your completed Community Involvement Hours Record Form to your guidance counsellor.
Last name A-H – Ms. Susi – firstname.lastname@example.org
Last name I-P – Mr. Scocchia – email@example.com
Last name Q-Z – Ms. Sandoval – firstname.lastname@example.org
Students aged 14 years and older can count up to a maximum of 10 hours from paid employment towards their earned hours at the discretion of the principal. Students counting paid employment towards their graduation requirement will be required to complete their Record of Hours form & reflection questions indicating how their work contributed to the service for others. Students not graduating this school year are still required to complete 40-hours before April 1 of their graduating year.
When using paid employment for volunteer hours (maximum of 10 hours), students must email their guidance counsellor with the following:
- Community Involvement Hours Record Form
- Reflection questions:
- What was the activity and what were your duties? (2-3 sentences)
- How was your involvement valuable to others? (2-3 sentences)
This Community Involvement form and reflection questions will be printed off and placed in your OSR.
Email the above to your assigned guidance counsellor:
Last name A-H – Ms. Susi
Last name I-P – Mr. Scocchia
Last name Q-Z – Ms. Sandoval
Additional Community Involvement Information
The Ontario Ministry of Education requires that each student complete 40 hours of volunteer activities in the community in order to earn their Ontario Secondary School Diploma. Students can begin accumulating these hours as of July 1 after they finish grade 8.
- Students must record their hours of community involvement on the Community Involvement Hours Record Form and have the volunteer supervisor sign for the hours completed. Email Completed forms to your guidance counsellor.
- HWDSB Community Involvement Information: Students and parents must ensure that the “volunteer activity” meets the requirements of Community Involvement as outlined in our Community Involvement Facts Sheet.
- As soon as students complete all or part of the required 40 hours, they are encouraged to return the completed form to the Student Services office and have this recorded on their transcript. Students may also attach signed letters verifying their completion of volunteer activities to their Record of Community Involvement form. (The Ontario Student Transcript shows only that the community involvement is complete or not complete, it does not indicate the total number of hours above 40 a student completes.)
All students are encouraged to complete a minimum of 10 Community Involvement Hours each academic year. We recommend completing all 40 hours by the end of Grade 10.
Local Volunteer Opportunities
- Community clean up taking place on Saturday May 27th, 2023 from 9 am – 11 am. Van Wagner’s Beach Park between Hutch’s and the Go Kart track. Bags and gloves will be provided. Coffee, water and doughnuts will be available. Please see your guidance counsellor to sign up!
- Concession Street Fest! Volunteers needed! Saturday June 10th, 2023 – 10 – 8 PM. Send resume to Concessionbia@gmail.com or call Louise 905-865-1027. Concession Fest Volunteer form
The Shoppers Run For Women is a fun event raising funds for mental health at St. Joseph’s Hospital. It is at Confederation Park on June 17 from 8AM to 1 PM.We need many volunteers to help with registration, race kit pick up, bag check, start/finish line set up and teardown, handing out water, food, swag bags and acting as a course Marshall. All volunteers will get a free T-shirt and swag bag of products worth $100 along with their volunteer hours. Students can register to volunteer at www.runforwomen.ca then click on location! Don’t miss out!
- Need volunteer hours??Fantastic opportunity available for students to earn their volunteer hours this summer at the Winona Peach Festival in August!!
- You can volunteer with the Stoney Creek Optimist Club, with a variety of different volunteer roles!
Contact email@example.com to sign up. Stoney Creek Optimist Club – Winona Peach Festival
2. The Kinsman Club of Stoney Creek will also be running booths for volunteers to participate in!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Cancer Society – volunteer opportunities:
- Opportunity for Grade 12 students to earn up to 10 hours of Community Service, while also possibly saving a life. This activity conforms to the guiding principles outlined in the Ontario Ministry of Education’s PPM 124a, and can be completed from the safety of home, during the current provincial lockdown. Students Saving Lives Community Service 2021 (2) (1)
- Kinsmen Club of Stoney Creek running booths at Winona Peach Festival this August. This is a fun opportunity to earn Volunteer Hours. You can contact Mr. Sheehan to sign up. email@example.com
- Tools to Build a Better World | Kambeo – Database of Volunteer Opportunities found on Kambeo
- HDWSB Community Clean Up -Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own reusable water bottle and a hat.
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/795358698029008
- Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board
- Saltfleet Volunteer Opportunities
- Climb for Cancer
- Canadian Blood Services
- Ontario SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
- Hamilton & District Extend-A-Family
- YWC Youth Council Application_2020
- Volunteer Flyer Heritage Green Farmers Market pdf
- Charity Village
- Neighbour to Neighbour Food Bank is always looking for donations and volunteers
- Hamilton Victory Gardens
- Hamilton Victory Gardens is a non-profit organization that exists with the purpose to help alleviate poverty and hunger within the city of Hamilton. It does this through setting up larger scale food gardens around the city, that are largely run by the community, and volunteers. At the end of the season, the harvested crops go to local food banks and meal programs. Contact Olivia Schultz at firstname.lastname@example.org
- WoD Volunteer Poster
- www.tead.on.ca TEAD Volunteer Poster (Equestrian Association for the Disabled)
- SJHH_Volunteer Recruitment Poster
- Art Gallery of Hamilton Volunteer link
- Community Involvement Hours Record Form
- Community Involvement Brochure
- Community Involvement Facts Sheet.