Day and night classes are in-person
|Watch Language Training Options for Newcomers to Canada, a Government of Canada video to learn more about some language training options. See English Language Programs (below) for course descriptions and schedules of HWDSB classes.|
The Adult English Language Programs of the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board have been supporting adult newcomers in Hamilton since 1992!
English Language Programs (CLICK HERE)
- English Every Day: Practice speaking, listening, reading and writing on a daily basis. Students choose the tasks they want to learn and complete assessments to show their progress. Use classroom technology and develop computer skills. Interact with students from all over the world. This course is suggested for learners who are interested in intensive and continuous learning. Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 2:05 pm.
- English at Night: Offered twice a week for learners who not able to attend during the day. Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday 6:00 to 8:30 pm.
- Canadian Citizenship Preparation Course: This course is for learners who want to learn about Canada’s history, geography, economy and its cultural heritage. It is also ideal for those who need to take the Canadian citizenship test. The course covers the material in the official government study guide. Do practice tests that will help you build confidence. Improve your study skills and learn to use time effectively during the test. CLB 4 in listening, speaking, reading and CLB 3 in writings is required for registration. Check the schedule.
- Summer Intensive: Offered Monday to Friday during the month of July. Practice speaking, listening, reading and writing. This is a short and intensive language learning opportunity! July 2 to July 26, 2024. Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 2:05 pm
Canadian Language Benchmarks - What are CLB's? (CLICK HERE)
Understanding the Canadian Language Benchmarks is a Government of Canada video that explains the language framework used for language training in Canada.
Classes are based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB). The CLBs are the standards used in Canada in government-funded language learning and teaching. The Benchmarks describe what a person who is learning English can do in different situations at home, at school and at work. For more information, please see the Canadian Language Benchmarks Can Do Statements. Our courses use Portfolio-Based Language Assessment and language instruction is learner-centered and task-based. Language topics will be chosen in collaboration with other learners and the teacher to help meet individual needs for life in Canada.
Call us today to find the class for you!
- City Learning Centre (905) 525-8833
- Hill Park Learning Centre (905) 561-2190 extension 4774
- Parkway Learning Centre (905) 573-0941
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Canada.ca/newcomer-services to learn more about these and other services.