Our D2L Hybrid On-Line Learning program combines face-to-face (F2F) and on-line delivery with tutoring available. This provides for less separation between learner and the teacher, especially in the F2F stages of the course. As a student becomes more comfortable, the remainder of the course follows an on-line course model with the student in charge of their learning.
|Please note the following important timelines with regard to the D2L Hybrid Program:
Grade 12 students who have a full course load at their HWDSB Secondary School but require an additional course to graduate may participate in this program.
What does D2L Hybrid On-line mean?
Hybrid On-Line means Day/Night School- without having to coming to school all the time
Can’t come to classes because you work during the day or evening?
- You can access to your course 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on-line on the D2L Learning Platform (provided to you for free)
- Watch video lessons of your teacher on-line at your pace (videos not available for all courses)
- Come for in-person tutoring help when you need it (5:30-9:00 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Have control over your learning and meet with your teacher when you want
Hybrid courses provide an opportunity to utilize the best of the web and the best of the F2F environments. On-line and F2F activities and interactions can vary widely in hybrid courses, thus creating a new learning opportunity for adults to improve literacy and numeracy and complete credits for their Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
Incorporating Technology Into Learning
- We use technology to deliver on-line courses for adults who have work and family commitments
- We provide all Course content on-line with tutoring support in a class setting available two nights per week and two days per week (F2F)
- We use technology to support project-based learning, and to facilitate research, collaboration, reflection, presentation, and inquiry
- All courses are secondary school credit based
- Academic Upgrading (AU) is available to prepare adult learners who are not quite ready for English and Math credits (6-12 week AU Numeracy program available)
How to get started - what's next?
STEP 1: Drop in at the Hill Park Learning Centre, (465 East 16th Street – Room 219) to Register
If you require counseling, please contact the Continuing Education Office (905-561-2190) in advance to book and Intake Appointment with our Guidance staff OR
Please see our “Register with CE” page for student registration requirements.
- SEPTEMBER to JUNE: Drop-in registration is available Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Night School Office (215A) or Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Continuing Education Main Office) – Registration for 2018-2019 ends May 15, 2019.
- SUMMER: Registration for September 2019 start is available starting in August from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Continuing Education Main Office, at the Hill Park Learning Centre.
STEP 2: Learn How to use the D2L On-line Learning Platform
- Training for 4-6 sessions at the Hill Park Learning Centre
- Evenings – Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Labour Day to June 15 each year)
STEP 3: Continue the course
- Check In/Reflection Classes
- Tutoring available two (2) nights per week
- Sept-June – Tuesdays & Thursdays (6:00-9:00 pm) at Hill Park Learning Centre
- You may come to classroom site to see your teacher on any session date
- Test/Exam Reviews – F2F or On-line
- Tests/Exams – written F2F at Hill Park Learning Centre during D2L Hybrid operating hours
- Exam/Marks Review
Our Most Popular Courses
GLS4O – Math Preparation for Senior Math
Success in secondary school math credit courses depends largely on student’s literacy and numeracy skills. This course builds upon your prior learning – upgrades your math skills for work or secondary school credits.
MBF3C – Grade 11 Foundations for College Mathematics
This course enables students to broaden their understanding of mathematics as a problem-solving tool in the real world. Students will extend their understanding of quadratic relations; investigate situations involving exponential growth; solve problems involving compound interest; solve financial problems connected with vehicle ownership; develop their ability to reason by collecting, analysing, and evaluating data involving one variable; connect probability and statistics; and solve problems in geometry and trigonometry. Students will consolidate their mathematical skills as they solve problems and communicate their thinking.
MCT4C – Grade 12 Math
This course enables students to extend their knowledge of functions. Students will investigate and apply properties of polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions; continue to represent functions numerically, graphically and algebraically; develop facility in simplifying expressions and solving equations; and solve problems that address applications of algebra, trigonometry, vectors, and geometry. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems. This course prepares students for a variety of college technology programs.
OLC4O – Ontario Secondary School Literacy Course
This course is designed to help students acquire and demonstrate the literacy skills that are evaluated by the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT). Students who complete the course successfully will meet the provincial literacy requirement for graduation.
ENG4C – Grade 12 College English
This course emphasizes the consolidation of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyze a variety of informational and graphic texts, as well as literary texts from various countries and cultures, and create oral, written and media texts in a variety of forms for practical and academic purposes. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity and developing greater control in writing. The course is intended to prepare students for college or the workplace.
Call the Hill Park Learning Centre for more information: 905-561-2190, or email us at email@example.com.