Adult Night School registration is currently available for the 2020-2021 school year. We are working to process registrations for 2020-21 and courses will be active for students who have registered to start or to return during the week of September 14.
Our Adult Night School On-Line (formerly D2L Hybrid On-Line Learning) program combines face-to-face (F2F) and on-line delivery with tutoring available. This provides for less separation between learner and the teacher, especially in the F2F stages of the course. As a student becomes more comfortable, the remainder of the course is self-directed with the ability to access assistance with their course through our tutoring time.
NOTE: Grade 12 students who have a full course load at their HWDSB Secondary School but require an additional course to graduate may participate in this program.
Overview of Adult Night School On-line
Can’t come to classes because you work during the day or evening?
- You can access to your course 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on-line on the D2L Learning Platform (provided to you for free)
- Watch video lessons of your teacher on-line at your pace (videos not available for all courses)
- Access tutoring help when you need it (5:30-9:00 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays) – on-line via Microsoft Teams
- Have control over your learning and meet with your teacher when you want
Hybrid courses provide an opportunity to utilize the best of the web and the best of the F2F environments.
Incorporating Technology Into Learning
- We use technology to support project-based learning, and to facilitate research, collaboration, reflection, presentation, and inquiry
- All courses are secondary school credit based
- Academic Upgrading (AU) is available to prepare adult learners who are not quite ready for English and Math credits (6-12 week AU Numeracy program available)
IMPORTANT - Program Timelines
|Please note the following important timelines with regard to the Night School On-Line (D2L Hybrid) Program:
HOW TO REGISTER and get started
Adult On-Line Night School registration for September is available – all appointments and registration will be done on-line as the Continuing Education offices are closed to the public at this time.
STEP 1: If you require counseling or if you’re new to Continuing Education HWDSB Credit programs, please book an On-Line Intake/Registration Appointment with our Guidance staff by clicking an appointment type below:
Students who are new to Continuing Education are required to participate in a brief “Student Registration” meeting with Continuing Education Office staff before starting their course. Book your Student Registration meeting now.
- SEPTEMBER to JUNE: Registration for 2020-21 ends May 14, 2021.
- SUMMER: Registration for September 2021 start is available starting in August from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
STEP 2: Learn How to use the D2L On-line Learning Platform
- Due to COVID 19 there will be no Face to Face time – orientation information will be emailed to each student and students will have the option to participate in an Orientation session over MS Teams.
- Evenings – On-Line Tutoring (via Microsoft Teams) Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Labour Day to June 15 each year)
STEP 3: Continue the course
- Due to COVID 19 there will be no Face to Face time
- Tutoring available on MS Teams two (2) nights per week
- Sept-June – Tuesdays & Thursdays (6:00-9:00 pm) – Teams codes will be provided after registration is complete.
- Test/Exam Reviews – On-line during tutoring time
- Tests/Exams – during tutoring hours
- Exam/Marks Review – during tutoring hours
Our Most Popular Courses
GLS4O – Math Preparation for Senior Math
Success in secondary school math credit courses depends largely on student’s literacy and numeracy skills. This course builds upon your prior learning – upgrades your math skills for work or secondary school credits.
MBF3C – Grade 11 Foundations for College Mathematics
This course enables students to broaden their understanding of mathematics as a problem-solving tool in the real world. Students will extend their understanding of quadratic relations; investigate situations involving exponential growth; solve problems involving compound interest; solve financial problems connected with vehicle ownership; develop their ability to reason by collecting, analysing, and evaluating data involving one variable; connect probability and statistics; and solve problems in geometry and trigonometry. Students will consolidate their mathematical skills as they solve problems and communicate their thinking.
MCT4C – Grade 12 Math
This course enables students to extend their knowledge of functions. Students will investigate and apply properties of polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions; continue to represent functions numerically, graphically and algebraically; develop facility in simplifying expressions and solving equations; and solve problems that address applications of algebra, trigonometry, vectors, and geometry. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems. This course prepares students for a variety of college technology programs.
OLC4O – Ontario Secondary School Literacy Course
This course is designed to help students acquire and demonstrate the literacy skills that are evaluated by the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT). Students who complete the course successfully will meet the provincial literacy requirement for graduation.
ENG4C – Grade 12 College English
This course emphasizes the consolidation of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyze a variety of informational and graphic texts, as well as literary texts from various countries and cultures, and create oral, written and media texts in a variety of forms for practical and academic purposes. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity and developing greater control in writing. The course is intended to prepare students for college or the workplace.
If you were in On-Line Night School last year and want to come back – please let us know so we can reactivate your account: https://bit.ly/ComingBacktoContEd2020-21
Call the Hill Park Learning Centre for more information: 905-561-2190, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.