Essential Skills Upgrading Program
The Essential Skills Upgrading Program is a skills development program in communication (reading, writing and speaking) and numeracy at a pre-high school level. Its purpose is to help adults with developmental disabilities attain their goals related to further training, employment or independence.
Please contact us at 905-561-2190 ext. 4757 or [email protected] for details.
- Classes are free of charge, individualized, self-paced and delivered in a small class format to meet the specific needs of each student.
- Adults with developmental disabilities 19 years+ can participate (though 21yrs+ is highly recommended).
- The adult must be physically autonomous and possess the capacity for independent action and self-management within the classroom.
- The adult should be able to profit from instruction in basic numeracy and literacy (this is assessed by the teacher) and participate fully in their individualized program.
Students participate in individually designed learning experiences focusing on:
- Upgrading of basic literacy and numeracy skills
- Practical context in which these skills will be employed
- Expressed needs and interests of the adults themselves
Course Delivery Format
- Enrolment in the Essential Skills classes are continuous throughout the school year (September to June) and hours and days are flexible.
- Part-time classes are available Monday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Currently programs are available in both in-person and fully on-line formats due to COVID19.
|Continuing Education Hill Park Learning Centre
465 East 16th Street, Hamilton ON – 905-561-2190
|To make an appointment for and intake/assessment meeting, please click the button below:
Schedule Appointment – Literacy & Basic Skills (NON-CREDIT) Intake/Assessment
|This Employment Ontario program is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario and through the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement.
Updated on Monday, December 19, 2022.