Focus on Youth Job Opportunity!!
Looking for a fun and rewarding summer job??? HWDSB’s Focus on Youth is a paid summer employment opportunity for HWDSB students 16 to 21 years of age. Apply to Focus on Youth
Mini Med School Opportunity
Attention students interested in pursuing medicine!
The McMaster Mini-Med School program is organized by McMaster medical students at the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine and will include fourteen lectures delivered over 7 consecutive Tuesday evenings between February 20, 2018, and April 3, 2018. Each week, two Hamilton physicians present interesting medical topics to the audience at a level that is easy to understand for individuals without any medical or healthcare experience. The program is open to all members of the Hamilton community and offers the opportunity learn from well-respected physicians in the Hamilton community about relevant health topics and recent developments in healthcare. Mini Med School has become a very successful McMaster Medicine community-oriented initiative and all proceeds received are donated to charity. This program also offers an opportunity for students interested in health sciences and healthcare the opportunity to meet and network with current McMaster medical students working to coordinate the lectures each week. Learn more about registration.
Sign up for this great opportunity!
James Bartleman – Indigenous Youth Creative Writing Award
Open to ALL INDIGENOUS Students in Ontario aged 18 and under
Deadline: May 31
Award per recipient $2500
For submission forms and more information:
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is the formal evaluation and credit-granting process whereby students may obtain credit for prior learning. Prior learning includes the knowledge and skills that students have acquired, in both formal and informal ways, outside secondary school. Students may have their knowledge and skills evaluated against the expectations outlined in provincial curriculum policy documents in order to earn credits toward their secondary school diploma.
PLAR challenge for credit is only available to students registered in regular day school program in a Hamilton-Wentworth secondary school. Grade 10, Grade and 11 and Grade 12 courses that may be challenged for credit are courses currently being taught in this board that have been developed from a provincial policy document.
- grade 10, 11 or 12
- seek opportunity, challenge and adventure
- science, technology, entrepreneurship and leadership
- four intense and exciting weeks in July 2008 www.shad.ca
- Deadline – December 12
Lester B. Pearson United World College
- grade 10 or 11 students
- show depth and breadth in academics and non-academic endeavours such as participation and leadership in athletics, co-curricular school activities, volunteer organisations, community service
Deadline – February 15
Rotary International Youth Exchanges
- ages 15-17 years
- above average students, showing leadership in the school and community
- interested and willing to try new things, experience life in another country
- become excellent ambassadors
over 160 countries available for exchanges www.rotaryclubhamilton.ca
Deadline – October 31
Encounters With Canada
- ages 14-17 years
- a youth forum to bring together young Canadians from different backgrounds and regions to learn about one another, to discover their country through each other, and to gain a better understanding of Canadian institutions
- a week long seminar at the Terry Fox Canadian Centre in Ottawa a different theme each week to discover different career options, to meet professionals in their chosen fields
Canada World Youth
- offers international educational programs to young people aged 17-24
- teams spend 3 months in a Canadian community, followed by 3 months in a CWY partner country (Africa, Asia,Caribbean, Eastern Europe and Latin America)
- participants work as volunteers on specific projects (development, education, social services, environment, small business development, health, etc.)
Deadline – January 15