Where do I start to find a job?
- Community Employment Services: young people can get information on careers, finding summer jobs, resume writing, and other interesting things.
- The Hamilton-Burlington YMCA has resources to help graduates find meaningful employment in the community.
- Ancaster Community Services provides support for students to find summer employment and other full time or part time employment within our local area.
- Academicinvest.com has listings for student jobs and possible career employers. It also has links to career research areas.
Are you making a Resume?
- Top Resume Tips : create your Resume.
- Career Cruising has some advice for students creating resumes.
Where can I go to see what types of jobs I might like?
- Xello – Each Ancaster High student has their own account, accessed via The Hub (students should not use the Xello link). This website allows students to gather information about different jobs, take interest surveys to determine which jobs they may like to have, and determine how much, and what kind of education they would need to begin the job. This website also includes average rate of pay for specific jobs and job information from people who work in those areas.
- 16personalities.com – take a personality test and get an accurate description of who you are and why you do things the way you do!
- Mohawk College’s Career Match Tool allows students to complete a quiz and then be matched to a program at college!
- Jackson Vocational Interest Survey has helped people find occupations that match your personal interests for years. This comprehensive tests will take about 40 minutes to complete and a fee will be charged to take the test.
- Career Match – is a resource Mohawk College uses to help match careers with College Programs.
- Career exploration information has been produced by the government of Canada to assist in finding job information.
- Ontario School Counsellors Association (OSCA) has information for students and parents such as interest surveys, information on jobs and apprenticeships, and resources for post-secondary education are all accessible from this website. Many relevant links are found on the “STUDENTS” tab.
- SchoolFinder.com has information on careers, career paths and finding the right education to help you get to your future career.
Workplace Safety for Youth
Each year our youth begin new jobs or take on new responsibilities at places of work. We must always be vigilant and informed as to the dangers present at each workplace and help keep our youth informed of risks and rights.
Students should keep informed about their rights as workers. Young Worker Sheet – Your Rights @ Work
Parents should assist in keeping their children safe at their workplace. Parent Information for Workplace Safety
Information About Future Careers!
- For EARTH DAY: April 22: What are EnviroCareers? Discover a variety of jobs you can do working to help the Environment.
- Interested in the JUSTICE SECTOR? You would be surprised how many jobs there are in this sector. Careers in the Justice Sector
- Earth Scientists are in high demand as we try to find ways to get what we need from the earth and still protect it.
- Visit the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario website to find out more about careers in accounting.
- Interested in Psychology, but not sure what a psychologist does? The Canadian Psychological Society website will give you many career ideas.
- Aviation Careers: Compare a career as an aviation mechanic with other careers.
- What does an ENGINEER do? Engineering is not one job, but a multitude of jobs each with its own special area of focus. Some things all engineering jobs have in common are the use of science, creativity and design, and a desire to create something.
- Careers in Civil Engineering and related fields provide a wide variety of opportunities for students with all different backgrounds in education. The Ontario Construction Careers Alliance will help you decide if you need a university degree, a college diploma, or a high school diploma to begin your engineering career.