HWDSB’s main scholarship page updates regularly here
- 2021-2022 slide presentation in .pdf format is here
“THE BIG SIX” 2022-2023
Are you in the Top 50 of Canada’s best students? If so, please keep reading! Most of these national scholarships require a nomination by Ancaster High School in order to apply. Details below.
- LORAN Scholars Foundation Award 2022-2023 (Deadline has passed)
- This no longer requires school nomination
- Sample LORAN application from last year is here
- University of Toronto Book Award & University of Toronto National Scholarship 2022-2023 (Deadline has passed)
- We are using the criteria for the U of T National Scholarship criteria in order to choose the winner of the U of T Book Award
- The Book Award winner is being announced on October 14, 2021
- TD Scholarships for Community Leaders 2022-2023 (Deadline has passed)
- This does not require school nomination
- Queen’s University Major Admission Awards (includes Queen’s Chancellor’s Award) 2022-2023 (Deadline has passed)
- Western University National Scholarship Program 2022-2023
- A reference copy of Western’s application is here. Do not submit this.
- Applications will be due to Mr. Nicholson on January 21, 2022. Students are asked to complete this fillable .pdf, identify themselves in the filename, attach it to an e-mail along with the required essay (please identify yourself in the filename) and use the subject heading “WESTERN” in all capitals
- Schulich Leaders Scholarship 2022-2023
- Reverend John C. Holland Awards (Applications Due January 6, 2022)
- 13 Awards Total (Scholarship + Bursary)
- These awards are for students who identify as a Person of African Descent and are 16-24 years of age at time of application and have demonstrated a commitment to service in their school and or community
- African Caribbean Cultural Potpourri Inc. (ACCPI) Youth Scholarship (Check back in 2022)
- This award is for students of African or Caribbean heritage and have demonstrated a commitment to service in their school and community.
Search Tools for Scholarships Not Requiring School Nomination
- Scholarships Canada
- Individual universities’ websites. Use the internal search function for keywords like “financial, aid, scholarships, awards. bursaries”. McMaster University’s site is here
- Cost-estimators are a good tool. McMaster University’s is here
Searching for Scholarship Opportunities
- North American Van Lines Scholarship. Students can win $1000 for post-secondary. Apply here
- Hamilton Wentworth District School Board lists awards and scholarships that students may apply for or be nominated for.
- Canadian Guidance Services has a complete line of information handbooks for scholarships and more.
- Academicinvest.com provides a list of scholarship opportunities and potential job opportunities.
- SchoolFinder helps students find colleges, universities and scholarships that match their profile.
- Ontario School Counsellor’s Association provides links to resources for scholarship opportunities.
- Canada Student Loans information.
- International Scholarships may be of interest if you are looking to attend college or university outside of Canada.
- The Ontario Government has information for Ontario students attending school abroad and for international students attending Ontario schools.
- Student Scholarships has information on scholarships and salaries for specific jobs.
Scholarships which do not require an application – AUTOMATIC ENTRANCE SCHOLARSHIPS
Some universities will award students “Entrance Scholarships” for having a particular average based on 6 grade 12 U/M courses from high school. It is important to know whether these Entrance Awards are based on grades at “Early Offer of Admission” time, or whether they are based on “Final Grades” from June. It is also important to find out if an Entrance Scholarship can change if the final June grades are higher or lower than those at the time an offer of admission was received. Each university or college will have their own policies on Entrance Awards, so check out this information with the institution you plan to attend.
Some of these entrance awards are renewable (money will be awarded each year of university or college if a particular average is maintained), while some are a one time offer. Check the individual universities’ websites to clarify the terms of Entrance Scholarships.