Ancaster School Council Minutes
What is a School Council?
PURPOSE OF SCHOOL COUNCILS
Under the Education Act Regulation 612 , school boards in Ontario are required to establish a School Council for each school within the board. The purpose of the School Council is “through the active participation of parents, to improve pupil achievement and to enhance the accountability of the education system to parents.
THE ROLE OF THE SCHOOL COUNCIL IS TO:
- Advise the principal and, where appropriate, the school board.
- Place students’ interest first
- Support school success planning goals
- Encourage parent and community involvement
- Promote positive attitudes towards public education
Welcome to Ancaster High’s School Council
Secretary: Barb Love
Student Reps: Rida Siddiqui, Ethan Hesler, Victoria Lee
Meetings are typically held on the first Monday evening on alternating months. At the first meeting of this year, future meeting dates will be set. Also, meetings this year will be held virtually by MS Teams, the same platform students use during their remote learning classes.
September 28, 2020 (first meeting of the year), 6:30 pm.
To participate in this meeting we need to send to your email an MS Teams calendar event.
Constitution and Elections:
[A revised Constitution will be uploaded soon]
School councils are governed by Ontario Regulation 612 which sets out the purpose, membership and election requirements for school councils. Under section 2(1),
Every school must have a School Council and members include:
- Parents (must comprise the majority of the membership)
- Teacher from the school
- Student (in high schools with some provisions for student membership in elementary schools)
- Non-teaching staff member
- Community representative(s) appointed by the council
- Home and School Association representative from the school (if a Home and School Association is a partner at the school.)
School Councils have voting members:
- Chair or Co-Chairs (must be parent members)
- Other possible roles (at the discretion of the Council)
- Members (see above). Note: Once voting membership is established, School Council must have quorum to vote. Quorum is 50% of the voting membership plus one.
NOMINATION FORMS FOR ANCASTER SCHOOL COUNCIL
Parent ResourceHandbook 2019-20 (Note: the Handbook is currently being updated for the 2020-2021 school year.)
Meeting Minutes are shared at each Council meeting