Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the HWDSB Athletics program is currently paused. HWDSB looks forward to resuming the water skills program as soon as possible.
The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board Water Skills program is one of the very few school boards in the province in Ontario which offers an opportunity for all of its Grade 3 students to learn water safety and appropriate water skills in an aquatic environment.
The program is intended for Grade 3 classes and special education situations. Schools are encouraged to contact their local pool and make arrangements to . Since the program is a “walk to” program, spring and fall have been utilized in order to maximize the warmer climate conditions.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM:
- To ensure the safety of all Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board students in water situations.
- To instil in all Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board students and appreciation of the enjoyment water activities can bring to their lives.
AIMS OF THE PROGRAM
- To ensure that ALL students are exposed to appropriate water safety skills.
- To expose students to the enjoyment offered by the aquatic environment.
- To encourage children to participate in further swimming skill and water safety development programs offered in the community.
NOTE: The Water Skills program is NOT intended to be comprehensive in either swimming skills or water safety. It is an introductory program with the intent of creating an enjoyment of the water
Teachers and/or Administrators – please follow the links below for information for the 2017-18 School Year:
- Water Skills & Swim Voucher Information 2020-21 (program paused due to COVID-19 Pandemic)
- Application for Swim Vouchers 2020-21 (program paused due to COVID-19 Pandemic)