Please feel free to contact a COOP teacher for more information about the variety of experiential learning opportunities.
Mrs. A. Zychowicz ext. 3710 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. D. Tchorz ext. 3709 Email: email@example.com
Cooperative Education is a ministry approved program that allows students to earn secondary school credits while completing a work placement. The program consists of a co-op course monitored by a cooperative education teacher, a related curriculum course in any subject and a work placement.
Students can apply two co-op credits towards their compulsory high school graduation requirements, with no limit on earning optional co-op credits. Co-op placements are arranged for students by their secondary school and must follow Ministry of Education policy and guidelines.
WHO IS IT FOR?
COOP programs are for secondary students who are heading for apprenticeship, college, university or the workplace.
COOP students have the opportunity to:
- Experince hands-on learning
- “Test-drive” career options
- See the relevance of their classroom learning
- Earn credits through workplace experience
- Develop the essential skills and habits required in the workplace
- Gain valuable work experience that will help build a resume for post secondary programs and future employment
COOP OPPORTUNITIES AT ORCHARD PARK
- 1 credit COOP
- 2 credit COOP
- 4 credit COOP
- Summer COOP
COOP at Orchard Park connects to the following specialized programs:
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) Programs
- Arts & Culture
- Health & Wellness
- Hospitality & Tourism
Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
- Regular OYAP
- Accelerated OYAP combining College and Placement experiences in a Skilled Trade
Dual Credits with Mohawk College (Fennel and Stoney Creek Campuses)
- Cable 14
- Hamilton Health Sciences
- City of Hamilton
- Crown’s Attorney Office
- Hamilton Police Services
- St. Joseph’s Healthcare
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton
- and more!
- Building Careers From the Ground Up (Skilled Trades)
- Healthcare Support Services
- Canadian Armed Forces (Militia COOP)
Please visit the following HWDSB links for more information on HWDSB Experiential Learning opportunities:
|Program Name||HWDSB Link|
|Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)||https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/secondary/programs/shsm/|
|Ontario Youth Apprenticeship (OYAP)||https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/secondary/programs/ontario-youth-apprenticeship-program-oyap/|
To further explore the above Experiential Learning opportunities and their application process, please follow this link: