What is SHSM?
A SHSM is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students focus their learning
with an economic sector that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements
of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
At Orchard Park, we offer six (6) SHSM programs:
• Arts & Culture
• Health & Wellness
• Hospitality & Tourism
Complete a sector-specific bundle of Grade 11 & 12 credits
• 4 Major Credits within their chosen sector
• 2-3 Other Credits
• 2 Cooperative Education Credits (virtual options and eLearning Courses available this
school year due to Covid)
Earn valuable industry certifications including First Aid, CPR, and WHMIS qualifications
Gain important skills on the job through cooperative education placements.
Key Benefits of SHSM:
• Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents.
• Develop specialized knowledge and skills.
• Earn credits that postsecondary educational institutions and the sector recognize.
• Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training.
• Identify, explore and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future.
• Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans
Students who successfully complete a SHSM receive:
• an Ontario Secondary School Diploma with an embossed SHSM seal
• a SHSM Record documenting his/her achievement
• formal recognition on his/her Ontario Student Transcript.
Talk to your Guidance Counsellor, Coop Teacher, or SHSM Lead to sign up for SHSM
Arts & Culture – Ms. Forrest firstname.lastname@example.org
Business – Mr. Ciarrochi email@example.com
Energy – Mr. Brooks firstname.lastname@example.org
Health & Wellness – Ms. Gray-Wraight email@example.com
Hospitality & Tourism – Ms. Christophi firstname.lastname@example.org
Transportation – Mr. Kitchen email@example.com