8:40 AM - 3:00 PM
Tim Illman - 905-383-3305 | Email
SuperintendentSimon Goodacre - 905.527.5092 x 2304 | E-mail Simon Goodacre
TrusteeKathy Archer - 289.339.0587 | E-mail Kathy Archer
Administrative Office Staff
- Ms. F. Russell
- Ms. J. Upsdell
Huntington Park School is a vibrant learning community located on the east mountain in Hamilton. The school is comprised of twenty regular Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 classes and one special education class for students with multiple disabilities.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
Two Learning Resource Teachers work in conjunction with teachers to develop programs suited to individual learning needs. There are four full-time and one half time Educational Assistant to provide additional support for our students with higher academic and behavioural needs. There is also a Developmental Specialist working to assist the students in the Multiple class.
We have an ongoing partnership with Sherwood Secondary School to assist all students with the transition to Secondary School.Curriculum department personnel support teachers with implementing current instructional strategies and assessment practices.
Our students are challenged and supported in reaching their full potential. Staff work diligently to ensure that quality programming is delivered using best practice procedures. The teachers have been working to understand and incorporate the mandates of the Effective School Correlates. Areas of focus include:
- Comprhensive Literacy
- Problem Solving Approach to Mathematics Instruction
- Daily Physical Activity
- Anti-bullying Initiatives
- SMART Board Technology
Students participate in a wide variety of extra curricular activities. Some activities are intramural while other students proudly represent our Huntington Hurricanes on interscholastic teams. Availability of clubs may change.
- Swim team
- Cross Country team
- Track and Field team
- Basketball team
- Volleyball team
- Three Pitch team
Staff and parent efforts to provide these activities are very much appreciated.
Our School Plan
- Use of DRA, EQAO and classroom performance data to inform individual and group instruction. All teachers have created goals which target instruction to improve student written responses to reading comprehension questions that require students to make connections to the text, to themselves and to the world.
- Our on site Literacy Coach (Mr. I. Matthews) supports teachers in the ongoing implementation of current teaching strategies in reading, writing, oral and media communications.
- Reading Intervention Programming
- Home Reading Program
- Current Nelson Mathematics Program
- Instructional focus on ‘Problem Solving’ approach to instruction utilizing the HWDSB Numeracy Facilitator as teacher coach and mentor.
- Instructional strategies that incorporate the use of manipulative materials.
- Huntington Park School prides itself on its Safe and Orderly Environment. A recent Code of Conduct Review Committee has established an Incident Report Communication system.
Parent & Community Involvement
- We are fortunate to have the Huntington Park Recreation Centre as our immediate neighbour. This allows easy access for regular visits for swimming and skating.
- We are very proud of our efforts this year to contribute to our community through our annual Families Helping Families Food, Clothing and Toy drive. We also support the Terry Fox Run and the Free the Children campaign.
Parent involvement is encouraged and promoted at Huntington Park School.
Parent involvement opportunities include:
- Classroom volunteers
- Reading volunteers
- Promotion of Reading at Home programs
- School Book Fair
- Pizza Days
- Spirit Days
- School Council