James MacDonald School is a JK to Grade 6 School, located near the intersection of Upper Garth and Stone Church Road, off Chester Street. The school was built in 1954 and was originally called S.S. #4 Barton School. It was renamed James MacDonald after mountain alderman, Jim MacDonald (1905 – 1985), in 1960 when it was annexed by the City of Hamilton. There have been two additions made to the school since it was built. The first addition was made in 1978 and another in 1991. Our current school population is 328 students.
James MacDonald School is located in an area of new housing development and is surrounded by the beautiful Gourley Park. Proximity to the park provides lots of opportunities for outdoor class activities involving sports and nature studies. Our annual Terry Fox run and track and field practices take place in the park. Two baseball diamonds located in the park are used by the school and local sports clubs.
These assessments capture performance at a specific point of time each year. The results should be considered together with other school information about student performance in reading, writing and mathematics.