8:15 AM - 2:35 PM
Visit our child care website.
Jamie McLean - 905.385.2341 | Email
SuperintendentPaul Denomme - 905.527.5092 x 2304 | E-mail Paul Denomme
TrusteeKathy Archer - 289.339.0587 | E-mail Kathy Archer
School Council Chairs
Administrative Office Staff
- Angela Brown
- Sandie Lee (.5)
Highview School offers a positive learning environment for students. We currently consist of Kindergarten to grade 8 classes, with numerous classes in each division. We also house an After School program run by the YMCA. We also are known for our commitment to the Arts with our instrumental music and drama students successfully taking their skills on to further develop at the Secondary school level.
Highview is a caring community and we have a long history of supporting a variety of organizations and causes, teaching our students the value of “giving back” to our wonderful city. We currently support the United Way and Neighbour to Neighbour.
Our parents have always played an active role as volunteers and in School Council. This year, we continue to encourage volunteers in every classroom.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
Our Learning Resource Teachers work in conjunction with teachers to develop programs suited to individual learning needs. Levelled Literacy Intervention, Class Act, and Empower are examples of our Reading Intervention programming.
We have a dedicated team of Educational Assistants (currently 6 in number 4.5 FTE) who provide additional support for our students with academic, developmental and behavioural needs. We also have a 0.5 FTE Student Success E.A, to help students with transitions, social skills building, and social/emotional needs.
We have an ongoing partnership with Sherwood Secondary School to assist all students with the transition to high school. Student achievement is regularly celebrated.
Our original school motto “Onward to Excellence” was brought back following our 50th anniversary celebration. Our staff made up of teachers, educational assistants, ECE’s, our secretary, and caretakers work together as a true Learning Community, learning from each other, encouraging each other and providing opportunities for students to “excel’.
- Comprehensive Literacy across Divisions
- Modeled and Shared, Guided, and Independent Reading Instructional Strategies supported by our Instructional Coach
- Problem Solving Approach to Numeracy Instruction
- SMART Board implementation, projectors, and Ipads.
- Intramural Games in Soccer, Basketball & Floor Hockey
- Jr./Sr. Track and Field, Swimming, and Cross-Country
- Senior Band
- Jr./Sr. Girls and Boys 3 pitch Baseball
- Gr.5 Lunchroom Monitors
- Jr/Sr. Girls and Boys Volleyball
- Jr./Sr. Girls and Boys Basketball
- Open Art
- Dance Club
- After School Scholars
- Green Team
- Primary Art Club
- Gr. 1/2 Building and Construction Club
After School Program or Activities
- YMCA School Age Child Care for children 4-12
Our School Plan
- Literacy improvement is our goal in all divisions. Each grade team develop goal(s) that reflect the needs determined from data analysis of EQAO scores, DRA & OCA (Gr. 7 & 8) assessments, as well as classroom observations/ marks with learning goals and success criteria.
- Increased skills in Reading Comprehension is our literacy focus and professional development has centred around teaching strategies related to Making Connections, Questioning Skills/Techniques, Making Predictions, Inferencing, Text Use and Determining Importance in Text.
- Our prime numeracy focus is centred on math lesson study where we have a coaching/modeling approach. Development of a problem-solving model of delivery in all Math classrooms continues as our goal. We deliver numeracy in the three part math lesson, and proportional reasoning.
- There are Ipad carts in the 1-8 divisions plus, an addition 6 Ipad’s in each of the junior division classes.
Environment Focus/Intervention Programs
- Neighbour to Neighbour reading Program
- Grade 2-5 Empower, , Grade 6-8 Empower, LLI, Class Act
- A Nutrition Program and H.A.T. (Health Action Committee)
Parent & Community Involvement
- Our partnership with Teacher Training program continues to be strong with our school serving as an internship school . Our staff are involved with student teachers throughout the year. This year, we have also had student candidates from Mohawk College ECE program too.
- Co-op students enhance the support we can provide in the production of classroom materials and for extra one to one help for students. We especially enjoy helping some of our former students develop their potential skills coming back as a co-op student.
- One of our ongoing goals includes increasing our parent volunteers throughout the school. We continue to invite parents to be an active part of our school.
- School Council meets six times per year commencing each year in September.
- Our Parents have also taken the lead with our community garden. Working through the summer to tend our assortment of fresh vegetables and herbs.