8:50 AM - 3:10 PM
Visit our child care website.
Rob Maudsley - 905.385.3267 | Email Rob Maudsley
SuperintendentLaura Romano - 905.527.5092 x 2622 | E-mail Laura Romano
TrusteeBecky Buck - 905.515.2367 | E-mail Becky Buck
James MacDonald School was built in 1954 and was originally called S.S. #4 Barton School. In 1960 the school was annexed by the City of Hamilton and renamed James MacDonald after mountain alderman, Jim MacDonald. There have been two additions made to the school, one in 1978 and another in 1991.
Currently there are 328 children enrolled at James MacDonald School but it is anticipated that this number will grow in the near future due to all the new housing developments around the Gourley Park area.
Presently the school runs on a balanced day schedule for grades 1 to grade 6. Junior Kindergarten and Senior Kindergarten students follow a traditional half day everyday programming model. Starting September of 2013 James MacDonald will offer Full Day Kindergarten.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Literacy Improvement Project Teacher
- Math Facilitator
- EQAO moment to prepare students for EQAO testing
- Annual Read-a-thon
- Implementation of the Teaching Learning Cycle to monitor student success
- Home Reading program
- Book Room
- Principal’s Monthly Award’s Assembly
- Character Education
- Remedial Literacy Program through Guided Reading
- Assistive Technology Programs
- Track and Field
- Social Justice/Me to We
- Garden Club
- Music Club
- Intramural sports
- Strings Program
- Private Piano lessons
- Before and After School Child Care – Umbrella Family and Child Services
Our school is focused on improving instructional practice through the Teaching Learning Cycle to improve student success. Primary and Junior grade teams identify expectations to focus instruction on based on assessment of student needs and interests. Continuous monitoring of student achievement through assessment and the teaching learning cycle ensures students are meeting expectations and achieving success. Our daily comprehensive literacy block provides students a consistent 100 minute block of time focused on guided, shared, modeled and independent reading and writing. These instructional practices are used in the delivery of the teaching learning cycle plan along with other teaching strategies to support student success.
- Principal’s Character Education Award’s – every month
- Spirit Days – once a month
- Lunch-time monitor club
Parent & Community Involvement
- Partnership with Gourley Park Community Association
- Umbrella Family and Child Centres of Hamilton – child care
- Community Representative on School Council
- James MacDonald has a very active School Council who meet the second Thursday of each month. Our School Council has 14 parent members, two adult community representative.
- Parents are involved in volunteering in classrooms, helping in the library, food days, fundraising and on School Council.Fundraising is done through parent organized campaigns, pizza and sub lunch days and popcorn days
- Fundraising has supported the establishment of our the purchase of a smart board, 10 iPads for students to use, subsidized trips and supported the payment for our new school sign. This year we are focusing on raising money for more computers and other technology to support student success.