Registration begins on Monday, February 2ud, 2021
What is kindergarten?
Kindergarten is a two-year, full-day program that helps children get the best possible start in school. Your child will be challenged and encouraged to do their very best. Our caring team of educators, including a teacher and an early childhood educator, are with them every step of the way! They are also a great resource for you to talk with.
Why is kindergarten important?
- Early learning experiences are crucial to the future well-being of children
- Early interactions affect the way connections are made in the brain
- A solid foundation for reading and math must be built
- Children build skills through developmentally appropriate play-based experiences
When is kindergarten registration?
Kindergarten is available for four- and five-year-old students at schools in September. Registration will begin on Monday, February 3rd.
Visit Find My School to find your home school.
When can my child attend?
Your child is eligible for the two-year kindergarten program in the calendar year that they turn four or five.
Your child must attend school if they are age six by September 1.
HWDSB schools typically welcome families to kindergarten orientation events in May of each year. This is a great chance for families to visit the school with their child(ren) to learn more about kindergarten. As May approaches, please return to this web page to check for event details.
Also, be sure to check out our virtual resources to help you learn more about kindergarten orientation.
How to register – Find, Register, Contact:
Note, only parents or legal guardians can register their children for school.
- Find your neighbourhood school in our School Locator tool or call 905-527-5092.
- Register online (link will go live when registration opens) to create an account, enter details and add your child to our student information system. If you have questions, please contact your local HWDSB school.
- OR, Register in person at your neighbourhood school (unavailable during remote learning period).
- OR, complete and print the Registration Form. You can submit a PDF forms via email. email@example.com
- NOTE: Online registration and the digital submission of documents will be our only methods of registering new students until schools are able to reopen.
- Your elementary school will contact you via MS Teams to verify information submitted.
- Required documents include:
- Proof of age (child’s birth certificate or passport);
- Proof of address (identification that shows parent/guardian’s current home address);
- Proof of immunization;
- Verification of date of arrival/immigration documents (if the child was not born in Canada).
- If registered using our print method, bring a completed Kindergarten Registration Form, also available at your school
Updated on Tuesday, February 02, 2021.