8:30 AM - 2:50 PM
Tim Illman - 905.643.4141 | Email Tim Illman
Lindsay Williams, Janis Blimkie, Dale Hill
SuperintendentJeff Gillies - 905.527.5092 x 2361 | E-mail Jeff Gillies
TrusteeAlex Johnstone - 905.515.7082 | E-mail Alex Johnstone
School Council Chairs
Mrs. Jen Vasconcelos
Administrative Office Staff
- Mrs. L. Novak, Office Administrator
- Mrs. S. Jacobs, Office Assistant
Winona Elementary is a JK to Grade 8 school that is among the largest elementary schools within the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board. Formerly a small, rural school, located at Winona Road and Highway 8, our new Lewis Road (at Barton St.) location serves a rapidly expanding, multicultural population. Currently the school has 37 classes (6 of which are JK/SK Full Day Kindergarten) with an additional classrooms dedicated to instrumental music, Learning Resource and Core French. The school also has a well furnished library and gymnasium with a stage. Winona Elementary is well equipped with educational technology. Each classroom is equipped with a SmartBoard (interactive white board), projectors, audio systems and a minimum of 1 computer workstation. Shared pod areas between classrooms are equipped with desktop workstations and a shared printer. Classes have access to iPads or and laptops and all learning spaces are equipped with WiFi.
The school prides itself on its tradition of character building, academic achievement and extra curricular opportunities.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Proactive Learning Resource program
- Empower and LLI Literacy Intervention Programs (Primary)
- Character Networks (behaviour) support team as required.
- Ongoing liaison with Orchard Park Secondary School and transition opportunities for intermediate students.
- Instructional Coaches for primary teachers
- Take home reading program
- Active Library
- Book Room
- Inventorying of all resources for sharing
- Student leadership Group
- Intramurals (e.g.soccer) at both junior and intermediate levels
- Monitor program
Before/After School Program or Activities
- There is a before and after school program for young students run by the Umbrella Daycare.