Winona Elementary is a JK to Grade 8 school that is among the largest elementary schools within the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board with an interior space of over 70 000 square feet. Formerly a small, rural school, located at Winona Road and Highway 8, our new Lewis Road (at Barton St.) location serves a rapidly expanding, multicultural population. Currently the school has 34 classes (7 of which are JK/SK Full Day Kindergarten) with an additional classrooms dedicated to instrumental music. The school also has a well furnished library and gymnasium with a stage. Winona Elementary is well equipped with educational technology. Each classroom is equipped with a SmartBoard (interactive white board), ceiling mounted projectors, FrontRow audio systems and a minimum of 1 computer workstation. Shared pod areas between classrooms are equipped with desktop workstations and a shared printer. Classes have access to laptop computers and all learning spaces are equipped with WiFi.
The school prides itself on its tradition of character building, academic achievement and extra curricular opportunities.
Total number of students: 878
Primary language other than English: 147
Students born outside of Canada: 54*
*Calculation does not include students for whom language information is missing.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Proactive Learning Resource program
- Empower and LLI Literacy Intervention Programs (Primary)
- Character Networks (behaviour) support team as required.
- Ongoing liaison with Orchard Park Secondary School and transition opportunities for intermediate students.
- Reading Specialist with a Kindergarten – Grade 1 Focus
- Take home reading program
- Active Library Learning Commons
- Book Room
- Inventorying of all resources for sharing
- Robotics Club
- Chess Club
- Student Leadership Group
- Glee Club / Choir
- Intramurals of Various Sports (e.g. Soccer) at both junior and intermediate levels
- Student Lunch Monitor program
Before/After School Program or Activities
- There is a before and after school program for young students run by the Umbrella Daycare.
These assessments capture performance at a specific point of time each year. The results should be considered together with other school information about student performance in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Visit the EQAO Website