The application process for September 2017 is now closed. The deadline for applying was February 10th. We cannot accept any more applications as all Sport Academy classes for September are full.
HWDSB SPECIALIZED LEARNING PROGRAM
R.A. RIDDELL SPORT ACADEMY
HIGH POTENTIAL AND BASKETBALL ACADEMY
The R.A. Riddell Sport Academy is a Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board Specialized Learning Program. This innovative learning program was created in 2006 to engage HWDSB student athletes by meeting their unique academic and athletic needs. Student athletes from all over the district are welcome to apply to the R.A. Riddell Sport Academy. The program set forth by the HWDSB supports its vision of “students achieving their full potential”.
The goal of our Sport Academy is to provide on-site athletic training alongside meeting the requirements of the Ontario Curriculum. Through our specialized staff members, enhanced equipment and partnerships with McMaster and Westmount, our program provides additional opportunities for the training and development of student athletes. Flexible programming is also offered to facilitate the students’ individual training and competition schedules.
The Sport Academy Program at R.A. Riddell features two specialized programs within our Middle School.
- High Potential Program – 2 Classrooms – Grade 7 and Grade 8
- Basketball Program – 3 Classrooms – Grade 6, Grade 7 and Grade 8
Students who demonstrate the following qualities and characteristics are considered good candidates for the Sport Academy Program.
- Motivated, self-directed and capable of working independently to manage both academic and athletic commitments
- Passionate for athletics and committed to improving skills and abilities
- Committed to contributing to a positive team atmosphere at R.A. Riddell
- Strives for academic success and achievement
- Attends regularly and punctually
- Student athletes who possess the candidate qualities and are currently involved in organized sports and training at a rep, provincial, or national level
- Students with high athletic potential who possess the candidate qualities but have limited or no involvement in organized sports.
Parent Information Night January 19, 2017 5:30 PM
Application Due February 10, 2017
Packages Reviewed February 13 – 17, 2017
Email Notification of Results February 21, 2017
Sport Academy Welcome Evening May 9, 2017 5:00 PM
Please click on the links below to print a complete Application Package. Application Packages are also available in the school office.
Basketball Academy parents and students can now follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/RARiddellBA