Welcome to Westmount Secondary School’s School Council
What is a School Council?
PURPOSE OF SCHOOL COUNCILS
Under the Education Act Regulation 612 , school boards in Ontario are required to establish a School Council for each school within the board. The purpose of the School Council is “through the active participation of parents, to improve pupil achievement and to enhance the accountability of the education system to parents.
THE ROLE OF THE SCHOOL COUNCIL IS TO:
- Advise the principal and, where appropriate, the school board
- Place students’ interest first
- Support school success planning goals
- Encourage parent and community involvement
- Promote positive attitudes towards public education
2022-2023 Meetings Dates:
October 17th, 2022 March 20th, 2023
November 14th, 2022 April 17th, 2023
January 23, 2023 May 15th, 2023
February 13th, 2023
Time: 7 pm
Location: We will be meeting virtually and in-person (hybrid model). If you are interested in attending please RSVP with Sandra Cardwell, email@example.com A link will be emailed back to you to join us on MS Teams for this meeting. If you would like to attend in-person we will be meeting in Room 1087/123.
Constitution and Elections:
[A revised Constitution will be uploaded soon]
School councils are governed by Ontario Regulation 612 which sets out the purpose, membership and election requirements for school councils. Under section 2(1),
Every school must have a School Council and members include:
- Parents (must comprise the majority of the membership)
- Teacher from the school
- Student (in high schools with some provisions for student membership in elementary schools)
- Non-teaching staff member
- Community representative(s) appointed by the council
- Home and School Association representative from the school (if a Home and School Association is a partner at the school.)
School Councils have voting members:
- Chair or Co-Chairs (must be parent members)
- Other possible roles (at the discretion of the Council)
- Members (see above). Note: Once voting membership is established, School Council must have quorum to vote. Quorum is 50% of the voting membership plus one.
Executives for the 2022-2023 School year is as follows: Reasa Diab, Chair, Brandi Marcy, Co-Chair, Lacey Hayes, Secretary.