[Skip to Content]
HWDSB Building

Sir Wilfrid Laurier December 2022 Newsletter

[Skip to Content]
Textsize
A+ A-

Dear Parents/Guardians,

What a great time of the year! It is exciting to see the joy in the faces of our students during the holiday season.

During this season of the year we would like to say thanks to: • Parents and guardians who diligently check their child’s homework, read with them every night; and spend quality time with their child. • School Council members and parents who helped organize and support our school events• All the people in our school and board who are committed to giving their best to your children every day. For example: caretakers, nutrition support personnel, board support personnel, office staff and all of our educators. • All of you who are doing your very best to send your child ready to learn every day. During winter break there will be a myriad of opportunities to create a stronger bond with your child/children and continue to support their academic growth and success. The holidays are good times for story telling around the dinner table, playing board games as a family, going for walks/drives to enjoy the decorations or routines like bedtime reading that cultivate connections between home and school expectations.  On behalf of the Sir Wilfrid Laurier staff, we hope that you have a joyous holiday season and a prosperous New Year!

Take care,

Mr. Moore and Ms. Stafford

Date Activity
Dec. 16 Final day for Food, Mitten and Hat donations
Dec. 18 Hanukkah begins
Dec. 20 Winter Wonderland

4:30-6:30

Dec. 21 ROAR Assembly
Dec. 22 Spirit Day Fun Sweater
Dec. 23 Spirit Day Comfy Cozy Day

Hanukkah

Last day of School

Winter Break Begins

Dec 25 Christmas Day
Dec 26 Hanukkah ends

Kwanzaa begins

With winter weather upon us, please make sure students are dressed appropriately for outdoor activities. On days where, cold weather and snow are in the forecast, boots, mittens or gloves, a warm hat and a winter jacket should be worn. Snow pants may also be needed for children who will play in the snow. Please remind your children of this, as many feel that they do not have to wear what they come to school with during outside nutrition breaks.

ON TIME, PREPARED AND READY TO LEARN

Attendance: As the weather changes and we get more settled into school, we are beginning to notice a number of students showing up for school late or not attending. It is important to note that students who attend school regularly tend to be more engaged in their learning, feel more connected to the school and have better academic outcomes than students who miss a lot of school.

Did you know? -If your child is 20 minutes late every day, he/she will have missed 12 days of school instruction by the end of the school year. – If your child misses two days of school per month, he/she will have missed one-month worth of instruction by the end of the school year.

SPORTS/ACTIVITIES AT SWL THIS MONTH

JR Boys Volley

ball

Kirkpatrick, Santaguida Gr. 4-6 Mon Oct 12-Dec 5 Gym
JR Girls Volley

ball

Smith,

Colasanzio

Gr. 4-6 Tues Oct 12-Dec 5 Gym
SR Boys Volley

ball

Pettersen, Santaguida Gr. 7-8 Wed Oct 12-Dec 5 Gym
SR Girls Volley

ball

Raynham Gr. 7-8 Thurs Oct 12-Dec 5 Gym

HAT Team Pettersen Gr. 7-8 ongoing
Library Helper Tselepakis Gr.5-8 2nd Nutrition Day 1, 2, 4 LC
Student Voice Santaguida/Tselepakis Gr.7-8  monthly /LC
Pride Club Wachniuk  Raynham Gr. 7-8 Meet regularly
Year

book

Santaguida/Tselepakis Gr. 7-8 Bi-weekly/ Learning Commons
Junior Choir Boichuk Gr. 4-6 Rm 144
Band Boichuk Gr. 7-8 Rm 144

COLD & FLU SEASON

Now that the colder weather approaches so too do children’s illnesses. Please use your discretion in keeping your child(ren) at home to recover. A child who is coughing, sneezing or who has a fever is not in a fit state to learn and may pass germs to other children. Please note that if your child is well enough to come to school, then they are well enough to go outside. We believe outdoor recess is an important and valuable part of our students’ day. Fresh air, exercise and time spent outside afford students a break from the structure of the classroom. It is imperative to make sure that your child is dressed appropriately for the weather and is prepared to play outside.

HAPPY WINTER BREAK!

Updated on Tuesday, December 20, 2022.
Back to the top