Poppy Campaign: Royal Canadian Legion donations (Nov. 9 – 15)
With pandemic protocols lifted, students are now able to donate loonies and toonies at school this week, to benefit the Royal Canadian Legion’s Poppy Fund.
Rousseau students may bring loonies or toonies to their classroom (or other donation). Class 6A students will collect donations daily. In light of our later start with donations, Rousseau will accept donations on behalf of the Legion until Tuesday, November 15th.
All Rousseau students will receive a poppy on Friday, November 11th, regardless of whether or not they donate at school.
Students & staff only will gather to observe Remembrance Day and Two Minutes of Silence at the appropriate time on Friday.
Use of Poppy Trust Funds – from the Royal Canadian Legion
Through your donations to the Legion Poppy Fund, the Legion provides financial assistance and support to Veterans, including Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, and their families who are in need. Poppy Funds may be used for:
- Grants for food, heating costs, clothing, prescription medication, medical appliances and equipment, essential home repairs and emergency shelter or assistance for Veterans and their families in need
- Housing accommodation and care facilities for Veterans
- Funding for Veteran Transition Programs that are directly related to the training, education and support needs of Veterans and their families
- Comforts for Veterans and their surviving spouses who are hospitalized and in need
- Veterans visits, transportation, reading programs and day trips
- Accessibility modifications to assist Veterans with disabilities
- Educational bursaries for children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Veterans
- Support of cadet units
- Community drop-in centres, meals-on-wheels, and seniors services in communities where Veterans would benefit
- Community medical appliances, medical training and medical research which will assist in the care of Veterans in the community
- Support the work of Legion Command and Branch Service Officers across Canada in assisting and representing Veterans
- Donations for relief of disasters declared by federal or provincial governments which impact Veteran in those communities
- Promotion and administering of Remembrance activities to ensure Canadians never forget the sacrifices of Canada’s Veterans