Lake Avenue: From Past To Present
Lake Avenue School has seen amazing changes in its 50 years of existance. It started as a small rural school in the Saltfleet Township, and today is one of the largest public elementary schools in the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board.
Lake Avenue was opened in the fall of 1952; with 240 students, and 6 teachers. The school was in the Saltfleet Township and had not been named at the time. It was named for the street on which it stood at the first fall meeting of the trustees. Our school community is currently made up of well over 600 students and almost 40 staff members.
The school has remained one story, although many additions have been made to it. A west wing was added in the 1970’s, and a north wing with a new gymnasium was added in the 1980’s. The 1990’s saw the addition of several portables, which now sits at a total number of 5.
In early 2003, the city of Hamilton-Wentworth opened up the Riverdale Community Center, which shares the schools west gym.
So . . .
Welcome to our school, or what we affectionately call “Lake”! Although the number of students and staff has varied greatly from that first year of 240, to a pinnacle of 1200 in the early 1980’s, today, we continue to represent and nurture good, responsible citizens from all corners of the globe.
Let’s just say . . . we take great PRIDE in our efforts and our accomplishments.
Please continue to check back to our website regularly as we are currently making several new additions.