Nominations to Board of Directors
We are looking for new members of the Board of Directors for the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success. This dynamic organization is committed to engaging the community to support HWDSB students overcome barriers so they can thrive and reach their full potential.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS – RECRUITING FOR DIRECTORS
Hamilton Foundation for Student Success is currently seeking two (2) community at large candidates for the positions of Director, on the board of directors.
The Hamilton Foundation for Student Success raises fund to help students facing extraordinary or emergency financial obstacles during their education journey, enhance extra-curricular programming within HWDSB schools and secures scholarship and student awards.
As outlined its By-Laws, the Board shall consist of the following twelve (12) Directors:
(a) the Director of Education of HWDSB;
(b) the Superintendent of Business of HWDSB;
(c) one (1) Trustee of HWDSB;
(d) two (2) additional employees of HWDSB, but not more than one (1) member from each
staff group; and
(e) seven (7) individuals from the community at large.
We are seeking a caring, committed and generous individual to serve as a volunteer on the Board of Directors for the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success for 2021-2023 (3-year term).
As a member of the Board of Directors, your roles are to be a:
- Donor – to make a financial contribution to the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success each calendar year, at a level that is meaningful to you
- Connector – to connect the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success with others who share your desire to support students in need in our school communities
- Ambassador – to speak and advocate on behalf of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success with your personal and professional networks, with current donors and through social media
- Governor – to participate in the effective and successful functioning of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success
We are looking for volunteers who are:
Connector/ambassadors from diverse backgrounds who are comfortable with and willing to work within the scope of their established personal and professional networks to engage friends, contacts and connections,
Connector/ambassadors from the educational sector, who are comfortable reaching out and advocating within the education sector,
And for the Foundation to meet our donor stewardship, organizational governance and awareness raising objectives, we need active directors who will:
- Call Hamilton Foundation for Student Success donors (as assigned) to thank them for their generous donation
- Raise the profile of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success through social media
- Participate in raising the profile of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success by attending gift celebration, donor appreciation, fundraising, outreach and other events
- Receive and review board information packages, and attend and fully participate at Board of Director meetings
We value the time that you are considering volunteering with the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success. The following chart is an approximation of how much time is likely needed to fulfil your role on the board.
|Activity||Annual time commitment|
|General board meetings (9 per year x 1 hour each)||9 hours|
|Preparation time for board meetings (1 hour each)||9 hours|
|Committee meetings (5 per year x 1.5 hours each)||7.5 hours|
|Preparation time for committee meetings (1 hour each)||5 hours|
|Thank you calls to donors (5-7 per month for 9 months x 3 minutes each)||2.5 hours|
|Social media participation (15 minutes per month)||2 hours|
|Event participation||12 hours|
|47 hours per year|
Executive Positions and Committees
In order to ensure the proper functioning of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success, we require directors to act as:
- Vice Chair
These positions will work in partnership with the Executive Director to plan meetings, set strategic directions and monitor finances.
The Board will create appropriate committees as need that can include:
- Governance (including Nominations)
All individuals interested in being considered for a volunteer Director position on the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success Board of Directors is required to submit a completed Nomination Package. All Nomination Packages will be reviewed by the Governance Committee (a committee of the Board of Directors). Viable candidates may be asked to participate in an interview with a member/members of the Governance Committee.
Selected candidates will stand for election at the Foundation’s Annual General Meeting on February 3, 2021.
All candidates, regardless of outcome, will be notified by email.
Deadline for submission of Nomination Package is Friday, January 8, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
For More information, please contact:
Amy Leaming Cote
Hamilton Foundation for Student Success
Phone: (905) 527-5092 ext. 2436