Seeking Two Candidates for the HFSS Board of Directors
We are looking for new members of the Board of Directors for Hamilton Foundation for Student Success. This dynamic organization is committed to engaging the community to support HWDSB students overcome barriers so they can thrive and reach their full potential.
Board of Directors – Recruiting for Directors
Hamilton Foundation for Student Success is currently seeking one (1) HWDSB staff candidate AND one (1) community-at-large candidate to serve as Directors on the Board of Directors. The community-at-large candidate cannot be an employee of HWDSB. The HWDSB staff candidate cannot be currently acting as a Principal or Vice-Principal.
We welcome applications from individuals who identify as 2+LGBTQ, Black, Indigenous, a Persons with Disabilities or other underrepresented group with varied life experiences and for the HWDSB staff candidate position encourage applications from all staff groups.
Hamilton Foundation for Student Success raises funds to help students facing extraordinary or emergency financial obstacles during their education journeys, enhance extra-curricular programming within HWDSB schools, and secure scholarship and student awards.
As outlined its By-Laws, the Board shall consist of the following twelve (12) Directors:
(a) the Director of Education of HWDSB;
(b) the Superintendent of Business of HWDSB;
(c) one (1) Trustee of HWDSB;
(d) two (2) additional employees of HWDSB, but not more than one (1) member from each staff group; and
(e) seven (7) individuals from the community at large.
We are seeking a caring, committed, and generous individual to serve as a volunteer on the Board of Directors for the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success for 2023-2026 (3-year term).
As a member of the Board of Directors, your roles are to be a:
- Donor – to make a financial contribution to the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success each calendar year, at a level that is meaningful to you
- Connector – to connect the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success with others who share your desire to support students in need in our school communities
- Ambassador – to speak and advocate on behalf of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success with your personal and professional networks, with current donors and through social media
- Governor – to participate in the effective and successful functioning of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success
We are looking for volunteers who are:
Connectors/ambassadors from diverse backgrounds who are comfortable with and willing to work within the scope of their established personal and professional networks to engage friends, contacts and connections.
And for the Foundation to meet our donor stewardship, organizational governance and awareness raising objectives, we need active directors who will:
- Call Hamilton Foundation for Student Success donors (as assigned) to thank them for their generous donation
- Raise the profile of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success through social media
- Participate in raising the profile of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success by attending gift celebration, donor appreciation, fundraising, outreach and other events
- Receive and review board information packages, and attend and fully participate at Board of Director meetings
We value the time that you are considering volunteering with the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success. The following chart is an approximation of how much time is likely needed to fulfil your role on the board.
|Activity||Annual time commitment|
|General board meetings (7 per year x 1.5 hours each)||10.5 hours|
|Preparation time for board meetings (1 hour each)||9 hours|
|Committee meetings (5 per year x 1.5 hours each)||7.5 hours|
|Preparation time for committee meetings (1 hour each)||5 hours|
|Thank you calls to donors (5-7 per month for 9 months x 3 minutes each)||2.5 hours|
|Social media participation (15 minutes per month)||2 hours|
|Event participation||12 hours|
|48.5 hours per year|
Executive Positions and Committees
In order to ensure the proper functioning of the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success, we require directors to act as:
- Vice Chair
These positions will work in partnership with the Executive Director to plan meetings, set strategic directions and monitor finances.
The Board will create appropriate committees as need that can include:
- Governance (including Nominations)
All individuals interested in being considered for a volunteer Director position on the Hamilton Foundation for Student Success Board of Directors are required to submit a completed Nomination Package. All Nomination Packages will be reviewed by the Governance Committee (a committee of the Board of Directors). Viable candidates may be asked to participate in an interview with a member/members of the Governance Committee.
Selected candidates will stand for election at the Foundation’s Board of Director’s Meeting on February 8, 2023.
All candidates, regardless of outcome, will be notified by email.
Deadline for submission of Nomination Package is November 15, 2022 at 4 p.m.
Please email email@example.com should you require any accommodation throughout the process.
For more information, please contact:
Amy Leaming Cote
Hamilton Foundation for Student Success
Phone: (905) 527-5092 ext. 2436