Welcome Letter From August 31st via School Messenger
August 31, 2023
Greetings Parents/Caregivers and Students,
We are looking forward to welcoming our students back to school on Wednesday, September 6th and we hope everyone has had a restful, relaxing, and enjoyable summer.
With the start of a new school year, we want to ensure everyone has the information they need for a smooth back to school experience. For our newest DVSS Gryphons, we will work to ensure you settle into your new school with the support you require. Our school motto is “An empathetic culture of respect and learning through the lens of human rights”, and during your time at DVSS, we will give you the opportunity to engage in activities to bring this motto to life. Your voice is valued at DVSS!
Student timetables are available in the Parent Portal and on the first day of school, students may pick up a hard copy of their timetable in the main foyer from 7:45 to 8:30 AM. After that time, they will be available for pick up from the main office window. At DVSS, we operate on a Day One/Day Two alternating day schedule. Wednesday, September 6th is a regular school day and will operate on a DAY ONE schedule. The cafeteria will be open to students, but unfortunately, our cafeteria food service provider will not be operational until Monday, September 25th. Please plan for your students to bring their own lunches and beverages until that time. There are many hydration stations throughout the school, so we encourage students to bring their reusable water bottles.
We would like to welcome the following staff members new to DVSS this semester:
- Mr. C. Balazs, Vice Principal supporting students with surnames M-Z; Mr. S. Barr will continue to support students with surnames A-L
- Mr. J. O’Connor returns to our Student Services Department supporting students with surnames A-J
- Ms. R. Dube joins our English Department
- Mr. M. McComb and Ms. L. Van Mil join our Canadian and World Studies Department
- Mr. T. Nicoll joins our Special Education and Music Departments
- Ms. B. Patterson joins our Student Success Team
- Ms. L. Scott joins our Science and Mathematics Department
- Ms. F. Dokis joins us our new Child and Youth Care Practitioner
During the first week of school, students will learn about DVSS clubs, teams and other extra curricular activities. Stay tuned!!
Our Main Office and Student Services Office are open from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The school is closed for the Labour Day holiday and re-opens on Tuesday, September 5th. If you or your students have questions related to school start up, please contact us before next Wednesday.
Brian Lennox, Interim Principal, and the entire DVSS Staff