[Skip to Content]
Templemead

Important Information for Templemead Families

[Skip to Content]
Textsize
A+ A-

Dear Templemead Families,

Welcome back, again!  We hope that everyone has had the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful summer weather we’ve had these last few months.  This is the second in a series of communications that will be made available to parents over the coming days as we prepare to welcome our students back to school.

We understand that many of you have questions and concerns regarding the HWDSB back to school plan, specifically our Templemead plan.  As a parent and as the Principal of Templemead, I want you to know I understand your fears and concerns.  We have been working diligently to ensure our start up is as smooth as possible and is safe for students, families, and educators. In the coming week, we will be posting a detailed plan specific to Templemead. This will answer your questions and address your concerns.  Our First Day entry plan and our dismissal protocols will be detailed in that plan.

If you have not subscribed to our school website, I strongly encourage you to do so at www.hwdsb.on.ca/templemead.  The website will provide you with the most current information from the school and from the Board, and will notify you every time we post new information.

Below you will find several pieces of information that may be helpful as you prepare your family for the new school year.

1. If you have not gone into the Parent Portal to complete the Return to School Attestation form, please do so as soon as possible. All students returning to school must have this form submitted prior to entry into the building.  Please access the online form here: https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/parent/
  2. All students are required to wear medical or non-medical grade masks. Please speak with your child(ren) about the reasons why they will be wearing a mask at school (i.e., their own personal safety and the safety of others).  Students will not be required to wear a mask during outdoor Nutrition Break times.  They will, however, need to exit the building for recess while still wearing the mask.  This means they will need to understand how they can safely store their mask while outside (e.g., in a pocket, on a lanyard, or in a paper bag).
  3. All parents will be required to wear a mask while on school premises.
  4. Students are asked to bring a water bottle from home, clearly labelled with their name, as we are not using water fountains. We will be using the hydration stations to fill water bottles.
  5. There will be no changing for gym as we are not using the gymnasium changing rooms –  please send your child(ren) in clothing that would also be suitable for active play such as Physical Education classes or Daily Physical Activity.
  6. We will not be using the lockers when we return to school. This will help minimize congestion in the halls and exposure to other classes and cohorts. Please send your child with a back pack. It will hang on the back of their chair during the day. Please ensure that everything that is brought to school is absolutely necessary and will fit inside the zipped backpack.
  7. Due to the measures we must take to follow Public Health protocols and keep children safe, we will not be allowing access to the Kindergarten Play Area this year. Many parents and caregivers like to wait in the play area with their child.  We will have dedicated educators in the play area to supervise Kindergarten students each morning.  Parents will be asked not to come into the play area.
  8. Access to the back playground will not be available through the Kindergarten Play Area. This year, the back playground can be accessed by walking around the Kindergarten Play Area along the asphalt path.  We have been working with our facilities department to ensure that bushes and trees have been trimmed to leave easy access for strollers.  We have also entered into conversations with our contractors to ensure the path is kept clear during the winter months.
  9. At this time, we are not allowing caregivers or volunteers into the school. If a child needs to be dismissed early from school, we are asking that you use School Messenger (https://go.schoolmessenger.com/#/home) to inform the school or call the school directly.  We will ensure that your child(ren) is escorted to the front doors of the school for pickup once you have arrived.
  10. Please ensure that your child arrives each day with a healthy lunch/snack for Nutrition Breaks and that they have all of their materials. We will not be accepting deliveries to the school as it is too difficult to maintain our safety protocols.
  11. Extra-curricular activities such as educational excursions, pizza days, frozen yogurt, etc. will be on pause. Should the opportunity to begin these activities open up, we will inform parents and caregivers.  If this should be the case, we strongly encourage families to register for School Cash Online to make payments so there is no exchange of money within the school.  You can register at https://www.schoolcashonline.com/
  12. Please ensure that the school has updated phone numbers and email addresses for parents as this will be our primary source of communication. You can call the school at 905-383-8348 to speak with our Office Administrators should you need to update this information.
  13. We are strongly encouraging parents and caregivers to teach their child(ren) how to find their own way to their class cohort/line up area. Most classes will be lining up at the back of the school.  We are encouraging parents to drop off their children at a) the gate at the South end of the school (by the dumptsers), or b) by the Kindergarten Play Area (where they can walk around, not through the play area).  This will greatly help us to limit contact on our school playground.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to ensure that our students, families, and staff experience a safe and orderly return to school.  The Staff at Templemead is looking forward to a great year and we especially look forward to seeing everyone after such a long time away from school.

Sincerely,

Mr. Williamson, Mrs. Harvey, and the Templemead Staff

Updated on Tuesday, September 01, 2020.
Back to the top