September 1, 2021
Further to my previous e-mail, I am providing you with some additional information to ensure a smooth start to the school year:
- Just a reminder that school starts on Wednesday, September 8th.
- Student timetables were e-mailed to both students and parents/guardians on August 27th.
- Parents/guardians – please note that a one-time student attestation form, located in the Parent Portal, must be filled out, signed by you and submitted to the school in order for your student to attend. Your student should bring the attestation form with them on the first day of school. If you are unsure about how to access Parent Portal, please contact the school (905) 547-6415.
- In addition, students will complete the daily screening which they will have to show their teachers daily.
- Our daily schedule will be as follows:
Period 1 9:00 – 11:30
Lunch 11:30 -12:35 (65 minutes)
Period 2 12:35 – 3:05
- Students in special education self-contained classes will follow our regular schedule with 75-minute periods.
- If students are planning to stay for lunch, they will be eating lunch in their morning classroom or an alternate room (communicated to them on the first day by their teacher).
- If students are leaving the building for lunch, they will return to the building no sooner than 5 minutes before their afternoon classes begin. Students will not be permitted re-entry prior to 5 minutes before the school starts.
- There will be no cafeteria services.
- Students will be assigned entry/exit doors for both their morning and afternoon classes on the first day of school. When you arrive on September 8th, please go to the front entrance doors for further instructions.
- Lockers will not be available, so students will have their belongings with them in class. Students should limit the belongings they bring to school.
- Masks (that cover mouth and nose) must be worn in the school building and hand sanitizer will be available in all classrooms.
- There will be limited access to the office for students and parents. Parents are not to be in the building without an appointment.
- If students have a spare, they do not need to be in the building until they have a face-to-face class.
Before a student can enter a school, we require that their family (or the student if over age 18) completes an attestation that they have read, understood, and will abide by expectations. Find this on the Parent Portal. (Backup location for forms and translations.)
Daily COVID-19 Screening
HWDSB COVID-19 Student Screening Checklist is to be completed daily before arriving at school. The checklist is found on the Parent Portal as well as on the HWDSB website. If you answered YES to any of the screening questions, or if you refuse to answer the questions, the student has failed the screening and must not attend school. The family should contact Public Health (905) 974-9848 or their family doctor for testing. Please contact the school using SafeArrival to report the absence. If the student is tested for COVID-19, your school would appreciate knowing the outcome of that test.
This year, our school must significantly limit or even prohibit visitors to school, including parents, to support a safe and healthy learning environment. We ask families to call or email our school if they need to provide information or contact a staff member. Also, it is strongly recommended that parents do not drop off items during the school day.
I will continue to send updates as we receive added information. Thank you for understanding the challenges of planning the new school year, and for sharing our commitment to safe and successful school year.
Learn more about COVID-19 precautions at HWDSB at www.hwdsb.on.ca/covid19.
As more information becomes available, I will be in communication with you. It is important for all of us to respect the protocols in place to keep everyone safe and healthy. Remember, you are not alone, we are here for you.
Best wishes to all of you!
Hamilton Wentworth District School Board
Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School