Updated: Apr 19, 2021
Students at Sir Winston Churchill will resume learning face-to-face for their period 1 classes in the 145 minute morning block, effective Monday, February 8th.
- On Monday we will have Cohort A students attending in-person.
- However, ALL students (Cohort A, Cohort B, at-home learners) will be required to log in and connect with their teachers daily.
- Attendance will be taken daily for all students.
- Remote learning will continue in the afternoon for the rest of the classes.
- The schedule will be the same one we were using prior to the stay-at-home order.
- If necessary, study hall will be available for those students who are not able to learn from home in the afternoon.
- Cohort information is located in a student’s timetable available in the Parent Portal and was also e-mailed to students .
- As before, the semester is divided into four blocks to give each period balanced instructional hours.
- An updated Semester 2 rotational calendar will be shared on the school website.
- If you would like to switch from learning in-person to learn fully from at-home, please call the school number, 905-547-6415
Christine Nicolaides (she/her)
Updated: Feb 04, 2021
We are in the second week of school for students. Operating the school safely is a team effort requiring an increased amount of coordination between classroom, caretaking, and office staff, along with the cooperation of students. The Sir Winston Churchill family is lucky to have such a supportive group of stakeholders.
I also want to give a special thanks to all of our families for working with the school on our new routines. All of our procedures are under constant review to make sure that they are meeting safety guidelines and running efficiently.
There is a change from Public Health regarding students experiencing illness symptoms from what was communicated earlier this week. Siblings will no longer be required to stay home unless they are also experiencing symptoms themselves.
The province released a new COVID-19 School Screening Tool. This tool may be used by students, staff, employees or
visitors. We will be reviewing our Screening Tools and door signage and updating accordingly.
If a student has any symptoms on the daily medical screener:
- All families with an ill student should contact Public Health for advice
- Must have a negative COVID test or be cleared by a physician AND have no symptoms for a 24 hour period
- If a parent does not want a student to go to a physician or have a COVID test, the student is to isolate at home for 14 days AND have no symptoms for 24 hours
- Please have a plan in place to have a student picked up if they experience symptoms at any point in the school day. If students experience symptoms while at school they must be moved to an isolation room. Students who are sent home cannot return for a 24 hour period after symptoms have ended.
Some of our beginning of year paperwork is know available on the Parent Portal. Parents can complete the following forms online:
- Digital Tools Permission
- Internet Use and Photo Consent
- Media Consent Agreement
Parents with access to the Parent Portal please complete these forms this week. Copies of the forms, as well as the Medical Attestation, were also included in students’ packages which were picked up on their first day of school.
For parents still experiencing issues with the Parent Portal, please contact our school office to confirm your contact information. If your contact information in our system is correct and you are still experiencing Parent Portal issues we will submit your information to the HWDSB IT Department. I can appreciate the frustration of families with these issues and this frustration is shared by the school. We will do our best to assist.
As we get into regular school days, attendance reporting becomes extremely important. Please input attendance daily into the Safe Arrival/ Parent Portal app. Remember that all students must clear the medical screener questions before coming to school. NI means Non-instructional. This code is entered on the day your student’s cohort is not attending for face to face learning.
Mr. M. Barzetti, Principal
Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School
Click HERE for a copy of this Update Letter
Covid-19 Screening Tool
Ministry of Health
COVID-19 Screening Tool for Children in School and Child Care
Version 1 – October 1, 2020
Some new resources from Microsoft for Parents that have been released on remote and hybrid education:
- Online Education Resources for Parents – Microsoft Education
- Family and Guardian Guide to Microsoft Teams.pdf – OneDrive (live.com)
- Special education and accessibility resources for remote learning – Microsoft Educator Center
- MS Parent Training Session
Please note that these resources are generic and HWDSB does not necessarily use all of the functionality listed.