We are in the second week of school for students. Operating the school safely is a team effort requiring an increased amount of coordination between classroom, caretaking, and office staff, along with the cooperation of students. The Sir Winston Churchill family is lucky to have such a supportive group of stakeholders.
I also want to give a special thanks to all of our families for working with the school on our new routines. All of our procedures are under constant review to make sure that they are meeting safety guidelines and running efficiently.
There is a change from Public Health regarding students experiencing illness symptoms from what was communicated earlier this week. Siblings will no longer be required to stay home unless they are also experiencing symptoms themselves.
The province released a new COVID-19 School Screening Tool. This tool may be used by students, staff, employees or
visitors. We will be reviewing our Screening Tools and door signage and updating accordingly.
If a student has any symptoms on the daily medical screener:
- All families with an ill student should contact Public Health for advice
- Must have a negative COVID test or be cleared by a physician AND have no symptoms for a 24 hour period
- If a parent does not want a student to go to a physician or have a COVID test, the student is to isolate at home for 14 days AND have no symptoms for 24 hours
- Please have a plan in place to have a student picked up if they experience symptoms at any point in the school day. If students experience symptoms while at school they must be moved to an isolation room. Students who are sent home cannot return for a 24 hour period after symptoms have ended.
Some of our beginning of year paperwork is know available on the Parent Portal. Parents can complete the following forms online:
- Digital Tools Permission
- Internet Use and Photo Consent
- Media Consent Agreement
Parents with access to the Parent Portal please complete these forms this week. Copies of the forms, as well as the Medical Attestation, were also included in students’ packages which were picked up on their first day of school.
For parents still experiencing issues with the Parent Portal, please contact our school office to confirm your contact information. If your contact information in our system is correct and you are still experiencing Parent Portal issues we will submit your information to the HWDSB IT Department. I can appreciate the frustration of families with these issues and this frustration is shared by the school. We will do our best to assist.
As we get into regular school days, attendance reporting becomes extremely important. Please input attendance daily into the Safe Arrival/ Parent Portal app. Remember that all students must clear the medical screener questions before coming to school. NI means Non-instructional. This code is entered on the day your student’s cohort is not attending for face to face learning.
Mr. M. Barzetti, Principal
Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School
Click HERE for a copy of this Update Letter
Ministry of Health
COVID-19 Screening Tool for Children in School and Child Care
Version 1 – October 1, 2020