Principal’s Corner: June 2020
Hello Norwood Park Families
What a strange and unique year it has turned out to be! I want to start off by thanking all our students, parents and teachers for the last year, especially over the last few months. We all adapted to a new way of doing things, navigating new ways to connect and learn together, while apart. Thank you for your patience, energy and resilience as we have all gotten used to a new way to work and learn.
School Reopening Questionnaire
The HWDSB is seeking input from families about their concerns, expectations and requests for the reopening of school when the ministry provides that it is safe to do so. Please complete a short, anonymous questionnaire to share your thoughts: School Reopening Questionnaire.
The questionnaire will be open until June 30th.
The end of the school year means some changes to our staff team. I’d like to thank the following staff for their hard work and dedication to our students and school as they prepare for their new roles in September. We wish them well in their new assignments and will miss them!
- Mme Hempseed has accepted a role at a new school
- Mlle Morgan has completed her Long Term Occasional (LTO) assignment at Norwood and will start her new permanent assignment at Parkdale school
- Mme DeSourdy has accepted a role at Eastdale School
- Mme Brush is moving to a new assignment
- Mme Muir has expanded to a new permanent position at another school
- Mme Lundy will be on a temporary leave
We’d also like to thank Mlle Robinson, Mme Weatherley, Mme Lardi and M. Bozic for their hard work and dedication to our students and community. These teachers joined us this year and have completed their Long Term Occasional (LTO) assignments at Norwood. We wish them the best and will miss them.
I would like to take the time now to welcome some new and familiar faces that will be joining the Norwood Park staff team in September:
- Mme Lees will be joining us as our new French Speaking Reading Specialist (.5)
- Mme Denommee is joining our staff as one of our Grade 5 teachers
- Mme Terziev will be Norwood Park’s new primary prep teacher
- Mme McCluskey will be returning to Norwood in her new permanent role teaching Grade 5
- M. Bullard will be returning in the fall to his new permanent role teaching Grade 6 (.7)
A reminder that the school office will be closed for the summer starting July 1st. This means that our school voicemail and email will not be monitored. Office staff return August 31st and can assist at that time.
Historically at Norwood Park, eligible grades 1-6 students have ridden the school bus and our eligible grades 7-8 receive HSR bus passes.
There is a lot of unknowns about the fall and transportation is one of them. We are still waiting on further direction from the ministry and the board about student transportation for the fall. This information will be shared with families by the transportation department as it becomes available.
A reminder that this includes direction with courtesy transportation. Traditionally, courtesy application forms are not accepted until the new school year and the same applies for September 2020. We will share information as the board finalizes plans towards the end of summer.
Have a fun and safe summer!