Confirmed Case of COVID-19 – Child Care Centre at Norwood Park – October 22, 2020
October 22, 2020
The YMCA Hamilton | Burlington | Brantford shared information with families of their before- and after-school program at our school that a staff member tested positive for COVID-19.
The staff member was last in the building on Tuesday, October 6. Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board was notified of the positive test result on October 22. The risk to students and staff in our school is low and there are no student cohorts impacted. It is vital that personal health information and identifiers are not released, and the privacy of everyone involved is respected.
Nicki Glowacki, Chief Operating Officer at the YMCA HBB, shared the following message:
The YMCA was notified today through Hamilton Public Health that an employee who works in the
YMCA Before & After School Child Care Program at Norwood Public School, has recently tested positive for COVID-19. The individual last worked in our program on October 6th, 2020.
We are sharing this information as part of our continued commitment to open communication with our valued families. Please note the 14- day incubation period has passed and poses no risk to your child. No further transmission or symptoms of ill-heath have been reported by other children or employees.
We want to reassure you that appropriate precautions aligned with Ministry and Public Health guidelines are in place to help safeguard the health of our community at all YMCA Child Care Centres including:
- Daily health screenings for all children and employees prior to entry
- Personal protective equipment for YMCA educators including masks, face shields and gloves
- Enhanced cleaning protocols including frequent cleaning of high-touch areas and surfaces
- Cohorting of children in YMCA classrooms
- Ziplocking of all children’s personal items including backpacks upon entry
- Visitor restrictions
- Adherence to local City of Hamilton mask by-laws and school board directives is also in place in YMCA programs.
Consistent with our YMCA values, our intention in sharing this information with you is to ensure transparent communication with families. We want to reinforce that the Health Unit has indicated that the 14-day incubation has passed and poses no risk and no action is required.
HWDSB, our school and our child care partner are working closely with Public Health to ensure appropriate measures are in place to prevent the spread of illness to other students or people in the school community. Please continue to attend school and continue to screen daily for COVID-19 symptoms. Find additional symptoms on the COVID-19 school screening website.
If your child/ren develops COVID-19 symptoms, they will need to stay home from school. If your child/ren will be away from school, please use SafeArrival to inform the school about the reason for the absence; provide information about symptoms. This will help HWDSB and Hamilton Public Health understand illness transmission in the community. Find details about Safe Arrival.
If your child/ren develops COVID-19 symptoms, they must stay home from school and should get a COVID-19 test. To book a COVID-19 please go to www.HamiltonCovidTest.ca.
In response to a confirmed case, HWDSB follows a detailed cleaning and disinfecting protocol. Additional measures may also be taken, in consultation with Public Health. Students and staff will only be admitted into a school space once these measures are complete and when we are confident it is safe to use.
- Hamilton Public Health COVID hotline at 905-974-9848 or email@example.com
- If you feel that your child could benefit from support, HWDSB social workers are available. Please speak with staff if this would be helpful. You can also use the HWDSB Helps app explained at https://bit.ly/2DhmURj or explore the resources at hwdsb.on.ca/mentalhealth
- Learn about COVID-19 in Hamilton at https://www.hamilton.ca/coronavirus
- Learn about HWDSB’s school reopening precautions at hwdsb.on.ca/covid19
Our shared priority is the health and safety of the children and staff in our school community. As we continue to navigate through this pandemic, it will always be our intention to provide you with information that assures you of our preparedness, procedural precautions, and of our ability to provide a safe setting for both children, their families, and educators.
Please know that we remain focused on the well-being of our school community and will update you throughout the process. Contact the school if you have further questions or concerns.