Confirmed case of Covid-19 at Norwood Park – December 20, 2020
December 20, 2020
Dear Norwood Park Families,
This letter is to inform you that a staff member in our school has tested positive for COVID-19.
Hamilton Public Health Services (HPHS) notified Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) of the positive test result today.
School administrators have notified all impacted families and staff members who are identified as a close contact. The students and staff members associated with the confirmed case will self-isolate for 14 days. HPHS will connect with close contacts as part of their contact tracing process.
Public health has determined there is no epidemiological link between this and previous cases at our school, and therefore no outbreak will be declared.
It is vital that personal health information and identifiers are not released, and the privacy of everyone involved is respected.
HWDSB and our school are working closely with Public Health to ensure appropriate measures are in place to prevent the spread of illness to other students or people in the school community. Please monitor for symptoms and perform daily screening for COVID-19 symptoms.
Testing for Symptomatic Students and/or Staff
Hamilton Public Health Services recommends testing of students and/or staff who have been identified as close contacts and/or any individuals who develop symptoms within 14 days from the last exposure of a confirmed cases of COVID-19. Find symptoms on the COVID-19 school screening website.
- Any staff or student who has been asked to isolate by the school because they may be a close contact to a COVID-19 case and who becomes symptomatic should book an appointment online for a COVID-19 test at HamiltonCovidTest.ca. These individuals should then call 905-546-2424 ext. 6706 to inform HPHS of their symptoms.
- The general school community should continue to self-monitor for symptoms and complete the daily screening tool. If a person develops symptoms, they should book an appointment online for a COVID-19 test at HamiltonCovidTest.ca; you do not need to call HPHS to inform them of your symptoms.
In response to a confirmed case, HWDSB follows a detailed cleaning and disinfecting protocol. Additional measures may also be taken, in consultation with Public Health. Students and staff will only be admitted into a school space once these measures are complete and when we are confident it is safe to use.
We understand that this is a concerning development and want to support you. For mental health and well-being supports, please contact your school or explore the online HWDSB resources.
- Hamilton Public Health COVID hotline at 905-974-9848, HPHS Parent Resources, or email email@example.com
- If you feel that your child could benefit from support, HWDSB social workers are available. Please speak with staff if this would be helpful. You can also use the HWDSB Helps app.
- Learn about COVID-19 in the City of Hamilton and HWDSB school reopening precautions.
Our shared priority is the health and safety of the children and staff in our school community. As we continue to navigate through this pandemic, it will always be our intention to provide you with information that assures you of our preparedness, procedural precautions, and of our ability to provide a safe setting for both children, their families, and educators.
Please know that we remain focused on the well-being of our school community and will update you throughout the process. Contact the school if you have further questions or concerns.