Helen Detwiler September 2022 Updates & Reminders
For more information, please contact the school.
Volunteers play a very important role in our schools. Our volunteers help enrich our students’ educational experiences and bridge the gap between schools and our community. All volunteers in HWDSB schools MUST provide a new Vulnerable Sector Screening every three years. Volunteers must also sign a current offence declaration each year, in between Vulnerable Sector Screening updates. If there is a break in volunteer service greater than one school year, a new Vulnerable Sector Screening must be completed. We want everyone at HWDSB to be safe in our buildings and the updated Vulnerable Sector Screening is one way we can protect our students. For more information about volunteering, click on the following link: Volunteering | Helen Detwiler Elementary School (hwdsb.on.ca)
Now that school is back in session, we have observed an increase in traffic during pick up and drop off times. We must always consider the safety of our children first. Here are a few reminders:
- No drop off / pick up is to take place in the Helen Detwiler staff parking lot (closest parking lot to St. Marguerite) unless you have an accessible parking pass.
- Kiss & Ride – The Kiss & Ride area is only for quick drop off / pick up only. No one should be parking in the Kiss & Ride area. Drivers should NOT leave their vehicle for any purpose.
- Kiss & Ride – There should be NO double parking/dropping off in the Kiss & Ride. Please ensure that children are only exiting the vehicle when you are stopped at the curb. DO NOT let children cross into oncoming/moving traffic within the Kiss & Ride area.
- While in the Kiss & Ride, please ensure your children are getting out of the vehicle from the passenger side ONLY.
- If you are planning on parking at Helen Detwiler, please use the available parking lot that is closest to the soccer field and/or finding a spot on the local side streets. Please be mindful of all municipal parking by-laws.